Replacing keyboard for laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

My Sony laptop has 2 keys missing. I want to just replace the keyboard. Has anyone done this before on a laptop? And do they have any advice on were to buy one?

eBay to get a replacement keyboard.

Since you didn't share your model, I have to guess.

Replacing a keyboard on a laptop is pretty simple.

Right above the keyboard there is a plate, it is called the Keyboard Cover, there are usually buttons and light cover on this plate.

On some laptops this cover is attached to the hinge covers, if this is the case, there would be a screw holding each one and have to be removed from the back, then you use a flat head screw driver or a flat blade to carefully pry up the right hinge then the cover working your way to the left till the whole cover pops loose.

If the plate is not attached to the hinge covers, it would be the same with the exception that there are no screws to remove and you start working on the cover itself from the right side.

Now you should be able to see 3 or 4 screws at the top of the keyboard, remove them.

Raise the top of the keyboard, then lift the keyboard up and out of the notebook. Be careful not to pull on the ribbon cable connecting the keyboard to the notebook.

Lay the keyboard face down on the top case, forward of its normal position, and disconnect the ribbon cable from the motherboard.

Lay the new keyboard face down on the top case forward of its normal position, then reconnect the ribbon cable.

Slip the metal tabs on the bottom of the keyboard into their slots in the top case, then lower the keyboard into place.

Put the screws back in.

If hinge covers were part of the keyboard cover, tuck the display cables in before replacing the cover.

Hold the cover, bow the center upwards slightly, and snap it into place. Note the cover’s retaining tabs, make sure these tabs snap back into place when reinstalling the cover.

That should do it!

Missed one part:

If you have a plug at the end of the ribbon cable, just plug it in, if it is just a ribbon cable, examine the connector on the motherboard, you should be able to see a locking mechanism that you could pull up with your thumb and index fingers, make sure this is fully raised, insert the cable in, then push it back in locking the ribbon cable in place.

Thanks to cj2600's thread, I remembered that I forgot something rather important.

First thing you should do is to remove the battery before doing any work on a notebook, some guides I have seen even ask to remove RAM as well as mini PCI cards.
To replace a keyboard, the battery is all you want to remove.

hi beerbuser,
share the laptop model no and i can help you out with the keyboard problem, i work with all kind of sony vaio laptop.

I spilled an alcoholic beverage on my laptop keyboard a couple weeks ago. Needless to say, the keys are all sticking and hard to press. I need a new keyboard, went to Best Buy and they told me to buy one and they will install it.

Sony Vaio model #PCG-6D1L (I think that's it, it was on the bottom of the laptop)

It's hard to even write this message, I'm frustrated. Firstly, where is the best place to get a keyboard for this laptop, and how can I install it myself?

I don't know how to pop it out, tried a few times. Thanks!!!

hey lefty

hey,
the model no is usually on the plastic around the screen, or check right hand top corner of the keyboard space.

Ok, it's a VGN-S270B.

Sony wants 62.91 plus 6.95 S&H for the keyboard. Is there anywhere else I should try looking, or is that a good deal?

Also, should I install it myself or should I get a profressional to do it?

you can buy generic keyboards for laptops. There are many companies on the net that sell 'em

Key board

All you need do with a spilled beverage is to remove the KB and thoroughly soak/agitate it in Isopropyl alcohol. Put a fan on it and let it dry out. You can use a standard usb KB while you wait on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back