Replacing Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by my network people that I have to replace my motherboard. If I was to do it myself, would it be easy or would I need to have someone who knows what they are doing to do it?

It really depends on your experience level with computers. A few things you need to consider.

Can you get exactly the same model motherboard? If not, you may have to re-install your OS (worst case).

If you can't get the same model motherboard (things go out of date real fast), do you know how to determine the right kind of motherboard that will be compatible with your system's components - memory, CPU, AGP, etc.

How comfortable are you with monkeying around with electronic components? Have you swapped out a video or other interface card in your PC? Have you installed a hard drive or memory chips? Have you ever installed a CPU and heatsink? If you haven't done any of those, you might want to be cautious about tackling a mobo replacement.

Take a look at this to see what's involved: http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm

I would agree with Grok, if you've never been inside there before changing things around, you're in for it. The motherboard manual won't really explain what to do with all your other parts once you remove it all.

We would charge $60 to install and test your new board at our shop, not including software work. So it may not be that bad to have someone do it. But then if it's a different board you WILL want to backup your data and reload like he said.

Good luck with that project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back