replacing video card in e-machines T-2642

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to replace the video card in an e-machines t-2642. I know e-machines are crap but I was given this computer and I want to see if the hard drive is alright. I called tech support(which was a joke) and the guy kept telling me to take it to a certified computer technician. I know that it can't be that hard to replace. I was wondering if it was just a jumper or something like that. I installed the new video card in one of the PCI slots and the computer turned on and I could here Windows start up but the monitor wouldn't power up. I don't have any manuals for the computer and I can't find anything on the Internet(a lot of e-machines questions but nothing specific to my problem). Any help would be appreciated.

What is the model of the video card you are trying to install? You will have to turn off the on-board video first. Install the new video card. When the computer starts to boot up, press DEL a couple of times. You will see a blue screen with options on it. This is the bios setup screen. Look for Integrated PCI video, and disable it. Reboot your system...

The infamous T2642:

Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
CPU: Intel® Celeron® 2.60GHz Processor
128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB
Chipset: Intel® 845GV chipset
Memory: 256MB DDR (PC 2100)
Hard Drive: 40GB HDD
Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D
64MB Shared memory
Sound: AC '97 Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Standard Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Standard Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back