Report confirms that Microsoft is developing a stripped-down 'Windows Lite' OS

Polycount

Staff
In context: Microsoft has been doing its best to compete with Google in the Chromebook space, but few of the company's efforts have caught on so far. Windows 10 S has all but failed in terms of mass adoption, to name one example.

Despite its rocky track record with lightweight operating systems, though, Microsoft is reportedly forging ahead with its plans to release "Windows Lite." The first hint that the OS existed popped up back in December, but now The Verge has confirmed that Lite is truly on its way.

Apparently, Windows Lite will be a stripped-down operating system that targets dual-screen devices initially, though it will ship to "Chromebook-like devices" at a later date.

Functionally speaking, Windows Lite is set to be even more "basic" than what we got with Windows 10 S. What exactly that means in terms of features and restrictions (or the lack thereof) remains to be seen.

Regarding aesthetics, the photo above is reportedly an "accurate" mock-up of what the current Windows Lite interface looks like. However, The Verge says that could change by the time the OS officially ships.

Speaking of shipping, we don't know when Microsoft plans to reveal Windows Lite. As we've speculated in the past, though, the company's upcoming Build 2019 conference is probably as good an announcement time as any.

Permalink to story.

A cloud based OS with Edge and onedrive instead chrome and google drive is going to be a really tough sell. Cloud versions of office apps would be a plus, but you'll have to pay for a subscription.

A cloud based OS with Edge and onedrive instead chrome and google drive is going to be a really tough sell. Cloud versions of office apps would be a plus, but you'll have to pay for a subscription.

A couple weeks ago I posted that if Microsoft wants UWP to survive it will have to be on something like this (I think I actually even called it Windows Lite). If you don't need a device for serious gaming then you can really cut out a LOT of overhead and get solid performance from a relatively cheap device. There is certainly a market for this and while it may not be enormous its definitely worth pursuing. However, to really make Windows Lite work it will need one more thing: a way to run Android apps...oh, is that a Linux shell running on Windows 10 I see? What a happy coincidence..

Windows Phone, Windows RT, Windows Lite... Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same f*cking thing... over and over again expecting... sh*t to change... That. Is. Crazy.

Also, I would constraint myself from quoting Verge If I were a serious publication. I've heard They (Vox Media) striked down some vloggers who quoted Their PC assembly video.

Microsoft has been down this road before and it's never stuck. Cloud based applications are no different than server based applications. The moment there is a problem with the net, you're down and cannot work. Simply not the best user oriented system ......

Windows Phone, Windows RT, Windows Lite... Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same f*cking thing... over and over again expecting... sh*t to change... That. Is. Crazy.

Also, I would constraint myself from quoting Verge If I were a serious publication. I've heard They (Vox Media) striked down some vloggers who quoted Their PC assembly video.

The Verge is on OK site if you like terrible visual design and leftist fascism.

I can only imagine where you've heard that...

Sounds like somebody has played Far Cry 3 :)

Once you pull your head from the sand, Microsoft returned to the richest company in the world because of what they do. The windows phone saga is a mistake many companies make in different ways, entire businesses are run from Windows and RT. Incredibly reliable, hardly get a call from the many small businesses I have set up and all are quite happy.
Stop whining..

What killed Chromebook for me was having to sign in to use a local printer. Meaning my files have to travel to a server first then back to my printer. Problem 1: that's too slow. Problem 2: it's insecure and exposes my files to Google and the net. Am I too paranoid?

Back