Report: The RTX 2070 Super, 2080 Super, and 2080 Ti have been discontinued

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: If there’s ever a sign that a new product line is about to launch, it’s the discontinuation of its predecessors. That appears to be the situation with Nvidia. Next-gen Ampere GPUs are on the horizon, and as such, the company has reportedly discontinued its entire high-end RTX line.

You might remember reports in July that claimed Nvidia had ended production of several RTX cards. According to MyDrivers.com, the company’s AIB partners have since started the process of delisting their high-end products and are offering promotions on existing stock.

The report mentions the RTX 2070 Super, which has been “completely” discontinued, with the last batch of GPUs dispatched and no further orders being accepted. If accurate, expect what is still an excellent card to start appearing at discounted prices very soon.

The discontinued cards reportedly include the RTX 2080 Ti, RTX 2080 Super, and the RTX 2070 Super, leaving just the RTX 2060 and lower-end cards in the Turing lineup.

The GeForce RTX 2060 and GTX 1660/Ti have seen sales boost recently thanks to the resurgence of cryptomining in China. Moreover, mid-range Turing products are among the ten most popular graphics cards in Steam’s Hardware Survey, though the RTX 2070 and Super variant are in 11th and 12th place.

Killing off the entire high-end RTX line could suggest Nvidia will be launching RTX 3000 GPUs in quick succession, starting in September. Expect the mid-range Ampere cards to follow slightly later, possibly in November.

Permalink to story.

I truly hope that the 3060, which will be the cheapest 3000 series card most likely, will be at least better than the 2060 Super...and I hope the same for the 3070 and 3080 outclass their 2000 Super counterparts as well.

Honestly, I never was moved by Ray Tracing because I never truly saw any benefit of it over the current shadow technology,nor was I ever not impressed by current transparency and reflectivity technology.

Ray Tracing, was a goal post set up to take our minds off of 4K 60fps. Most people have a 1440p or 1080p monitor. I appreciate the newer, more efficient technology though.

Dear: 2080Ti

THANK YOU for the time we had together.
The DCS World flights. CoD: MW. And everything else you ran effortlessly.
Thank you for allowing me to max out settings on any game I considered playing.
Thank you for allowing me to never have to have a second thought about who would be on top in Techspot's GPU comparisons. Because of you, I already knew.
Any argument that could possibly arise - you quickly crushed...mightily.
And when I trade you in on Ebay, for recouped cash towards a 3090, there's no hard feelings OK?

Your friend
-J

Oh look its a team green fanboy! Thanking them for their anti consumer extortionate prices too. its people like you that allow them to get away with their absurd pricing.

I truly hope that the 3060, which will be the cheapest 3000 series card most likely, will be at least better than the 2060 Super...and I hope the same for the 3070 and 3080 outclass their 2000 Super counterparts as well.

Honestly, I never was moved by Ray Tracing because I never truly saw any benefit of it over the current shadow technology,nor was I ever not impressed by current transparency and reflectivity technology.

Ray Tracing, was a goal post set up to take our minds off of 4K 60fps. Most people have a 1440p or 1080p monitor. I appreciate the newer, more efficient technology though.

3060 should crush the 2060 Super. It should batter it, even if Nvidia are building on Samsung 8nm and not TSMC 7nm. TSMC 7nm EUV is the dream here, because the density is a huge step over Turing's 12nm process. You could build an RTX2080Ti on TSMC 7nm EUV and it would be smaller than RTX2060 Super's die.

RTX never took hold as Steam charts have shown, and Nvidia want that dominance back and I think they'll get it if the products are right.

People have been waiting for these cards. They waited for this generation. They have seen Turing, been underwhelmed by the improvement over Pascal, underwhelmed by the ray tracing performance, and unimpressed by the prices.

They are waiting for this generation. If Nvidia deliver a step as we all expect, then they will sell big again like Pascal.

I am a self admitted Nvidia Fanboy.

But I do own AMD stock so AMD fanboys can make me wealthier. I bought in below $20 and we are up to $85
I bought in back when it was in single digit territory ($2, I think?), well before Ryzen had been released. It has been a helluva ride, but I am pretty sure we're finally getting towards the top.

Pascal was so much better than previous generations that even a lot of Maxwell owners saw the value in upgrading. So when Turing came out and didn't offer much initial improvement at the same price, there were relatively few people not on new and powerful Pascal GPUs. Smaller market, smaller sales.

There seems to be a tell in that data to show how much laptop sales are contributing to those numbers:

1650 3%
1660 1.7%
1660 Ti 2.6%

These are overlapping products and should be cross-shopped, especially as the 1650 desktop card is junk. Yet sales are much higher for the 1650 and 1660 Ti: because there's no 1660 laptop card, only 1650 and 1660 Ti. This suggests that laptop sales bump up GPU numbers in this table by ~65% over just desktop sales with these cards. Just an assumption here, but it makes sense.

This makes me wonder about the top 3 GPUs in the list as they were also featured in previous gen laptops. How many of those are laptops?

Dear: 2080Ti

THANK YOU for the time we had together.
The DCS World flights. CoD: MW. And everything else you ran effortlessly.
Thank you for allowing me to max out settings on any game I considered playing.
Thank you for allowing me to never have to have a second thought about who would be on top in Techspot's GPU comparisons. Because of you, I already knew.
Any argument that could possibly arise - you quickly crushed...mightily.
And when I trade you in on Ebay, for recouped cash towards a 3090, there's no hard feelings OK?

Your friend
-J
2080Ti was pretty underwhelming for me, not much of a jump.

Alright, here we go...should mean a big drop in price for these, right? What do you mean they will actually start going up in price until they are way more than they are now?! But that makes no sense. There are dummies that pay more when a card has been discontinued and new ones are set for release? This is a normal market?!

That was fast. gone forever. so the new 30xx must be new if they do like this/that.
2097 game rtx 2080 ti gone too ?
leaving only amd 57xx on market. and nxt gen amd 6000 series would take some spots on new nvidia gpu.
the intel xe are just 1 st gen for running games 1xx % better.
what if intel would blame it ant dicontinue its own xe series before I got rizen up to clouds. this IS MADNESS (3009 would take the throne but still 20xx ti are hll exspensie.
then 30xx mus cost less then a 20xx ti ?

Here is hoping it would be a tick-tock situation with Nvidia this time around. Last time was a minor step in performance gain (with new tech) and this time hopefully is a major gain in performance.

If they are gone gone, then new release is imminent which is great. I am looking at the 3070 card which hopefully gets me high to medium setting at 1440p or 1080p dpeending on games for the next couple generation.

GPUs don't really drop much in money lately because the demand is still pretty high for them. There is also residual stock, so is not as though AMD is the only one at the higher end.

Here is hoping it would be a tick-tock situation with Nvidia this time around. Last time was a minor step in performance gain (with new tech) and this time hopefully is a major gain in performance.

If they are gone gone, then new release is imminent which is great. I am looking at the 3070 card which hopefully gets me high to medium setting at 1440p or 1080p dpeending on games for the next couple generation.

GPUs don't really drop much in money lately because the demand is still pretty high for them. There is also residual stock, so is not as though AMD is the only one at the higher end.

I don't understand why you're looking at a 3070 then. If 1080p at medium settings is good enough for you, even a 1070 will suffice for at least the next 3 years, probably longer.

I was fortunate enough to be able to snatch two GTX 1080 models off of eBay back in 2017 - both less than a year-and-a-half after release - for around $350 each. I've been looking at the RTX 2080 Super but the prices are ridiculous in this casual gamer's opinion. I'm hoping that the new cards will cause the RTX 20 series market to plummet.

It's all about at what price they launch the cards.

Pascal was so much better than previous generations that even a lot of Maxwell owners saw the value in upgrading. So when Turing came out and didn't offer much initial improvement at the same price, there were relatively few people not on new and powerful Pascal GPUs. Smaller market, smaller sales.

There seems to be a tell in that data to show how much laptop sales are contributing to those numbers:

1650 3%
1660 1.7%
1660 Ti 2.6%

These are overlapping products and should be cross-shopped, especially as the 1650 desktop card is junk. Yet sales are much higher for the 1650 and 1660 Ti: because there's no 1660 laptop card, only 1650 and 1660 Ti. This suggests that laptop sales bump up GPU numbers in this table by ~65% over just desktop sales with these cards. Just an assumption here, but it makes sense.

This makes me wonder about the top 3 GPUs in the list as they were also featured in previous gen laptops. How many of those are laptops?
Laptop sales did go up a lot because of COVID.

Lets remember:
Dr Lisa Su, CEO of AMD has talked about (in depth) about AMD's next-gen gaming architecture.

She has told us when to expect it, has shown videos of early rdna2 silicon doing extensive raytracing. She has illustrated how their next gen gaming architecture is 50% more performance/per watt. She has discussed what this new (un-seen yet) RDNA architecture is meant to do and about how scalable it is.

Mark Cerny, SONY has talked extensively about rdna and how powerful it is and how robust the "front end" is, etc.

Jensen Huang, CEO of nVidia. He has not mentioned anything about any up & coming gaming architecture. Just released is latest big-business dGPU named Ampere, without murmuring gaming or geforce.

The last thing He murmured was that "people would be crazy not to buy a gpu without ray tracing". The is no official announcement about nVidia's future gaming architecture, or node, or even what architecture it will be using.

Just saying^
(where is ampere?)

I don't understand why you're looking at a 3070 then. If 1080p at medium settings is good enough for you, even a 1070 will suffice for at least the next 3 years, probably longer.

Yah, this. My son just put a 1660 Super in his system (slightly slower than my 1070) and it runs 1080p at 60fps Ultra for every game he has ever tried. There aren't any games yet that will even properly utilize a '3070' at 1440p, other than maybe MSFS and currently DCS World.

Yah, this. My son just put a 1660 Super in his system (slightly slower than my 1070) and it runs 1080p at 60fps Ultra for every game he has ever tried. There aren't any games yet that will even properly utilize a '3070' at 1440p, other than maybe MSFS and currently DCS World.
I was tunneling VR, we need more fps on dual 4k

It's all about at what price they launch the cards.

Considering nVidia is discontinuing the 2000 Super lineups plus most rumours we've been hearing so far, I'm getting more and more skeptical that the 3000 series be a significant improvement. 20% ~ 30% increase isn't impressive but not terrible either, like you say, it will depend on prices.

Really hope AMD delivers on their promises and we get a new HD4850/4870 situation to end this market complacency.

Nice. I'm thinking of getting a 1660 Ti or Super eventually, maybe a 2060 if prices drop. Roughly 2 months ago, my 3 year old MSI GTX 1070 died a sudden and horrible death (despite me being a casual gamer and never oc'ing the card... MSI has lost a buyer for life), so I took my stock clocked EVGA GTX 970 out of the closet. I've been getting constantly surprised by how well it still holds for 1080p gaming at high settings despite the 3.5 GB vram, so much that I'm missing the 1070 less than I thought I would.

The only games that are giving me trouble with the 970 are poorly optimized indiecrap games running on Unity.

Lets remember:
Dr Lisa Su, CEO of AMD has talked about (in depth) about AMD's next-gen gaming architecture.

She has told us when to expect it, has shown videos of early rdna2 silicon doing extensive raytracing. She has illustrated how their next gen gaming architecture is 50% more performance/per watt. She has discussed what this new (un-seen yet) RDNA architecture is meant to do and about how scalable it is.

Mark Cerny, SONY has talked extensively about rdna and how powerful it is and how robust the "front end" is, etc.

Jensen Huang, CEO of nVidia. He has not mentioned anything about any up & coming gaming architecture. Just released is latest big-business dGPU named Ampere, without murmuring gaming or geforce.

The last thing He murmured was that "people would be crazy not to buy a gpu without ray tracing". The is no official announcement about nVidia's future gaming architecture, or node, or even what architecture it will be using.

Just saying^
(where is ampere?)
Nvidia has always been more secretive, it's not a big surprise.

Nvidia has always been more secretive, it's not a big surprise.

lol....
Nice attempt at meat shielding. But we are not talking about keeping a tight ship, with leaks. We are talking about product launches and lead up.

And no, nVidia always hypes it's own up & coming products. Always! That is Jensen Huang's style...!

Ironically, Ampere was already announced.... wasn't it...! Where is nVidia's latest (newest) gaming architecture..? Must be, that Jensen has nothing to brag about...?

Back