Resizing existing partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Lancelot

Im wanting to resize my windows partition on my computer to make it bigger and shrink my linux partition.

Running Ubuntu, and XP Pro

Any suggestions on how to do this without loosing my windows data (I plan to reinstall Linux soon so I dont care to re-format that partition)

Partition Magic is a good tool for this job.
shrinking partition(s) is easy; expanding requires free space in the partition table.

IF you're willing to sacrifice the Linux, delete the partition and then run
Partition Magic to expand and redefine the free space.

Yea, I am using a 50/50 partition but I'm really not as happy with it as I thought since I continue to use windows more being a gamer and I got 50% of my HD on linux doing nothing

Any advanced partitioning utility can do this. The procedure would be: shrink the Linux one, move it to the end of the drive, enlarge the Windows partition.

HI,
reinstalling the linus will crash your windows os as well, just try deleting the swap drives from linux using partition magic and conver that space in to windows drive. better be careful it works but never tried.

im not so much reinstalling linux as I am giving that partition a reformat then installing a new version of linux into the free space in a smaller partition then expanding windows to take up the remaining space

So IM ready to do this but I'll need a free utility that can add the free space I'll leave behind when I reinstall linux to my windows partition, any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back