Resolution/Monitor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

huyem12

Recently, my computer broke down and almost everything was gone: all the installations, updates, drivers, etc. I basically reinstalled everything. For some reason I can't change my resolution and it is stuck on 640 x 480 and it only has 16 colors. Before my computer broke, I could always change the display settings from 640 x 480 to 1280 x 1024 ranging from 32 colors to 16 colors. Now, I can't do anything and it seems like it's stuck on default.

Does this problem relate to the video card/graphics adapter?

I have a IBM 2237 C71 on Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) as of now. Does anyone know where to upgrade the monitor driver or graphics adapter so I can change my resolution to 1024 x 768.

I tried resetting up ATI and stuff, but that doesn't seem to work at all.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Please would you take a few moments to read this post. A message for all newcomers. Thanks.

You need to go to your graphics card manufacturers website, and download, and install the latest drivers for your card.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Somewhere in all those files, there will be a file that says setup. Just double click on the file and the installation should begin.

Once the installation is complete, you can either delete the downloaded files, or burn them to a cd for future use.

Regards Howard :)

Yes, you don't just copy the driver files into a folder. They have to be installed. There's a difference.

The file you have downloaded is no good.

We need to know what graphics card you have.

Is it a separate card, or is it onboard?

If it`s onboard then we need to know what mobo you have.

If you download the free Everest programme from HERE it will give you lots of info about your system.

Regards Howard :)

Quite easy to tell if it's onboard. Just look at the back of your PC tower where all the plugs are. Is your monitor plugged in to a verticle backplane up high where the USB and keyboard/mouse are? Or does the monitor plug in to a horizontal slot down lower all by itself?
If it's up on the plate with the keyboard/mouse/usb, then it is onboard. If it's plugged in to a card down lower, it is not onboard.

In either case, everest should tell us what your motherboard model is. We need that. If it's not onboard, we need the video card model.

cheers

When you run the Everest programme a window will open.

In the right hand pain click on computer, and then on summary.

About half way down the page you should see a heading that says display.

You graphics card will be displayed next to where it says video adapter.

REgards Howard :grinthumb

Motherboard Name: IBM 66M2
CPU Type: Intel Pentium III, 450 MHz

Video adapter: Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
GPU Code Name: Savage4
PCI Device: 5333/8A22

Sigh, all I want is to be able to change the resolution and color again like it use to be able to do. =(

After you have entered the model number of your computer, it should take you to the download page for your model.

Download the latest version of your graphics driver.

The site tells you where to find the model number of your computer.

If you still have problems, then give me the model number, and I`ll try and find the correct driver for you.

Regards Howard :) :)

Okay, I found the machine type/model number, but it says it cannot find it. Then, I did all the steps they asked of me and even let them find the product number, but it didn't work. >__<

Here's the machine type/model number/serial number:

Machine type/model: 2171-545
Serial number: AM7CZ3F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back