Resolutions lower than 1024x768 don't fill the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaft

My desktop res is 1024x768, but when I play a game with a lower resolution, it doesn't fill the entire screen. It is off center all the way to the right with black bars on the left, top, and bottom. This never happened in 98SE, but I've upgraded to XP. Anyone know why?

This never happened in 98SE, but I've upgraded to XP. Anyone know why?

No Shaft, why did you up(?)grade to XP? [sorry I couldn't help it :D ]

Another wonderful Microsoft technological advancement: if it doesn't run in a 'window' ... :rolleyes:

Good luck,

Are you saying the image fits perfectly when you play at 1024*768 ?

Most likely it''s due to your refresh rate being defaulted to 60hz. You can fix it by downloading a little utility here -> http://www.nvrt.net/

Originally posted by JAV

No Shaft, why did you up(?)grade to XP? [sorry I couldn't help it :D ]

Another wonderful Microsoft technological advancement: if it doesn't run in a 'window' ... :rolleyes:

Good luck,

If you have a decent machine with a decent amount of memory WinXP is a much better OS than 98.

However - I will have to get back at you Shaft if I think of any solutions to your prob. Have you tried reinstalling video drivers? How about checking within the game to see if there's an option to fill screen? Also - please let me know what game it is you're trying to play and on what hardware.

LNCPapa

Can't you use the switches and dials and all that on your monitor to get it to fill the screen?

I read a review about a laptop, and it said it did this exact thing. They said something about going around in your BIOS and doing something, but they never said exactly what.

Don't I look the fool.

I assumed that expanding the screen using my monitor buttons would cause it to be too big when it returned to the desktop, but it wasn't the case. I figured that would be too easy, but apparently that's all I needed to do.

Can you not simply use the pin-cushion and geomtry controls on the monitor?

This is typical, especailly under different refresh rates and such. Once you adjust the screen size the first time for a resolution + refresh rate, you'll never have to again fior that particular res and refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back