Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffader

Okay, I may have done this post on the wrong page, so hopefully I can get a response here. This is the situation. I bought an ECS P4M800PRO-M with a LGA775 Pentium d processor.

I plugged in my AGP G-Force 7800gs in
Put in DDR2 533 2gigs
I had a 430 watt thermaltake, but just today put in a 600 Watt thermaltake (That siad it was Dual core ready, whatever that is)
1 X-fi extreme music
1 sony cd rewritable
1 sony dvd rewritable
2 case fans
1 cpu fan
1 Disc drive fan and one case cooler that sits in a bay slot
The temps are fine
Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures
Motherboard 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU 25 °C (77 °F)
Aux 8 °C (46 °F)
GPU 52 °C (126 °F)
MAXTOR STM3320620AS 39 °C (102 °F)

Voltage Values
CPU Core 2.32 V
+2.5 V 2.77 V
+3.3 V 3.22 V
+5 V 4.84 V
+12 V 11.78 V
+5 V Standby 4.62 V
VBAT Battery 3.25 V
Debug Info F 1B FF FF
Debug Info T 08 37 25
Debug Info V 91 AD C9 B4 B8 C2 4E (71)

And still when I start a game or do multiple things, the computer just restarts itself, Im sure its the Mobo, but there has to be a cure, again I have tested Memory, graphic card everything and im going crazy!

The computer either doesn't like the memory or the AGP card, or its driver.... my guess... or the Maxtor is at the end of its useful product life... of everything I see, the Maxtor is the most problematic.
One critical part you left out: Memory How much and what kind? Is the memory value ram or Value Select ram? If so, you might want to upgrade it, as it will be having latency problems.

raybay said:
The computer either doesn't like the memory or the AGP card, or its driver.... my guess... or the Maxtor is at the end of its useful product life... of everything I see, the Maxtor is the most problematic.
One critical part you left out: Memory How much and what kind? Is the memory value ram or Value Select ram? If so, you might want to upgrade it, as it will be having latency problems.

The memory is brand new PNY DDR2 533, The Maxtor is brand new, just got it 4 days ago. I ran the memory test program and it was fine, I even swapped it out with my other memory which was ddr and still crash. Now I can believe it is my Vid card, but the card itself is only like 2 months old. Do you really believe it could be the driver for the card? I could believe it because as a who;e system runs fine when doing 1 thing at a time but when I do multiple things and or run a game "BAM!" restart. thanks for the response !

The drivers are very often the problem... can't say about yours... just suggesting things to try that work for others...

The PNY DDR2 memory is likely Value Ram with slow latency... do you have a way to verify? PNY we get in is never the same from month to month.

But since you have already those things, you are down to the video card...
Sometimes going back to a previous driver works better than mobing ahead..

The behavior is like that of a heating problem... but you have been good enough to post all your temps.

What about thermal paste?
What about CPU fan... look for slowness or inconsistent speeds.

We must consider infestations based on what else you have told us... I assume you have good antispyware and Antivirus software... plus Windows Defender, Adaware 2007, and SpyBot.... run them again in safe mode.

Run HiJack This in the most recent version, then post here where the whizzes can look at it... Momok, Kitty500Cat, and Howard_Hopkinso can find the problem if it is there.

More info

I really appretiate your quick response, Okay first off, the CPU has an after market fan that, strangley enough I just bought, it had thermal paste on it, but it was about the size of a dime, should I ad more? I have so much cooling going threw this thing, plus 1 side of the case off that, even though I know it still could be heat, I have a hard time thinking its is heat because just sitting here typing will cause the restart! I just loaded Win XP on the HD and as I siad its a brand new drive so Im sure there are no viruses, but yes I have norton, run lavasoft, have windows defender and such. But the driver thing is really were im thinking the problem is, I had a pci card on another system but when I got this MoBo I installed the APG card and thats when all the problems started, so I can buy that its a driver thing, where are older drivers located?

Agp card :(

Its officially the AGP card, at least with this Mobo, I hate to dump money into another Mobo just to find out its the card, although I suspect it is the board. I just went and got another board at fry's the exact same one and I am having the exact same problem, I put plenty of thermal grease on the cpu. I removed the APG card and havent restarted yet so that is the problem. Can anyone tell me how to tell if its the card or the Mobo? thanks.....

Unless I missed it in the exchange, but I don't think you checked for spyware. Try using the following 3 anti-spy utils:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be found online.

The problem still isn't resolved, because Windows will usually refuse to work when the hard drive is put in a new system with a new motherboard.
It could be a bad AVG card, and i suspect it is, but you haven't tested for infestations... and you haven't (perhaps) done what is needed to meld the Windows install with the new motherboard.
If you can boot to something that works, and the only change is the motherboard. then you can suspect that the AGP card is bad.

Motherboards seldom fail, unless it is a Sony or an eMachines board.

Still, it can be the drivers, unless you have installed new video drivers and such onto the new motherboard.

Everything

Okay I do hear what all of you are saying, here is the thing. As far as viruses and ad-aware: First off I just bought the drive and did a new install of windows, is there still the possibility of virus or spyware? Also, I removed the g-force card and the X-fi and ran the board with just the onboard sound and video. Is it possible its the CPU at all, as it still did the restart thing. I did not remove the drivers for the X-fi and the g-force would that be an issue at all as they are not in the computer? Thanks again for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back