Restarting Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so ive had my computer for about a year now, and whenever ive needed to either shut down or restat my computer i have done it manually using the power button on my case, because everytime i go to start and then shutdown/restart it starts ending processes and then wont do anything just stays idle. I have windows media center, with dual core athlons, 2 gigs of ram and a 300 gb hard drive, the maker is HP and the model for the computer is HP vs19e. I was also wondering if powering down using the power button on my case will damage any hardware or software or just mess up my computer. Thanks A lot Dustin

When you use the power button to shut down, do you momentairly push the button or do you hold the button until the computer shuts down?

Your Operating System may be corrupt, or you may have a software driver or program that is preventing the system from shutting down normally...

"I was also wondering if powering down using the power button on my case will damage any hardware or software or just mess up my computer"

A monentary push is ok, but if you have to hold the power button until the system shuts down, this is a sign of system trouble. It is not normal and it is not good. By turning a system off this way won't hurt anything too bad

Naw i have to hold the power button for like 8 seconds, i have the thing that if you hold it for like 4 seconds it will go into standby mode, so i have to hold it for like the full time. I updated a lot of my drives in the past week, but a software driver what could that be, like a microsoft office driver, because i know that my office hhas been messing up and talking about that but i didnt think that would affect it from shutting down. But thanks for replying and trying to help me out.

Right-click on an empty part of your desktop. Select Properties, screen saver, power, advanced. Under "when I press the power button" select shut down... hit apply, ok. See if a tap of the power button shuts down the computer now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back