RH9 won't boot...Need Imediate help

Status
Not open for further replies.

me(who else?)

After foolishly listening to Nodsu and Diou on the #3dspotlight IRC yesterday, I've managed to kill RH9. I get to the Graphical login screen, but when I attempt to login ( to any type, like Gnome or Failsafe mode), I either get an error message that start <> cannot be found, then I get dumped back to my login screen :blackeye: Sometimes it appears to be doing something, while other times it just says that I wasn't logged in for ten seconds, but it always happens. Unfortunately, a project I have due next week is on that laptop... PLEASE HELP.

P.S. I'll sell my soul to Phant if necessary :hotbounce

what change did you make before this happened? Can you run Xconfigurator again in the console to redetect your graphical hardware and reconfigure?

Never mind, in IRC we solved the problem in about 5 minutes... :cool:
Logging into a text console than logging out fixed it.

me(who else?) said:
I just couldn't log into a desktop, so I booted into a prompt, then quit and I could log in just fine.

X-11/graphic login is too risky - - always boot into line mode and then
start the graphics front-end. This way, you always get something that at least gives you a Linux environment to work in :)

The command line is always there no matter what you mode you boot into. Just change the VT by hitting ctrl+alt+F1 to get the command line console #1. X lives under F7 in Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back