RIAA threat may be slowing file swapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
I have already heard of a few cases of 'average' users dropping file sharing programs, afraid of receiving a call from authorities, especially to those people living on university campuses, having a few receiving warning notices, etc.
We have reported how the RIAA has been increasing efforts to fight file sharing, CNet has a story on a supposed drop of P2P apps usage since the end of June:

Nielsen/Netratings, a company that monitors Web traffic and desktop application use, said that use of top file-trading applications such as Kazaa and Morpheus have fallen by about 15 percent since the end of June. On June 25, the Recording Industry Association of America announced it was planning to file what could be thousands of lawsuits against individuals who trade copyrighted music online.

If you are interested, latest versions of Kazaa Lite supposedly feature some RIAA scanning protection, may be worth a shot.

Interesting about the RIAA Scanning thing.

I'll admit that I haven't used Kazaa as much since their announcement, but that hasn't stopped me from getting them other ways.

Isn't the RIAA only going after the dudes with the highest amount shared or downloaded? I doubt they have the energy to track down everyone that downloads the new Deftones album or something and then doesn't open Kazaa for a week or 2, and then only keeping it open long enough to get something else.

I'm not even going to get into this discussion, but heres my 2 cents and I'll stick with this opinion till the grave. The RIAA is nothing but a blood sucking company looking for a way to make money on illegal downloads. They are no better than millions of people distributing, sharing and downloading these files because they seek to make money off of something that is illegal. That is their ONLY reason for doing what they do no matter what they claim the objective is.

They are just like the individuals and companys that see someone has a great idea or is making money off of something that is not patented. Then that person or company goes to patent the idea so that they may sue the rightful owners and make money by sueing them, then use the idea and make money off of someone elses idea.

I think I will be applying for a patent to walk on two feet. Anyone that walks on two feet will be seeing me in court. You had best start hopping on one leg or I'll sue you for $10,000!!!! Especially you college students walking to class!

I love kazzzlite and would highly recomended it (heh not that I use it or anything *Shnig pulls out his coller*)

Originally posted by Phantasm66
The new version of Kazaa Lite has technology to help stealth from the sorts of things used by RIAA , etc. Or so the blurb said....

http://www.kazaalite.tk/
I was under the impression that it was blocking known RIAA IPs, and in that case can't the RIAA just change IPs, I mean hell they catch a few college students and settle out of court for $15,000 they don't have to do that very often to make it worth their money to change IPs every week or so. The designers of Kazaa Lite and Kazaa++ in this sense will always be 1/2 a step behind. There needs to be a way to make the RIAA 1 step behind again, seems like the RIAA has the upper hand for the first time.

I think you would be surprised how effective blocking their IPs can be. And yes, they could use DHCP in a large organisation to apply different IP address spaces every now and again. But to be honest, I would imagine that they are not that well organised.

I think that more of their energy goes into the creative use of lawyers than technology.

If anything, I would guess that they are not very technical people because there are many more ways of sharing files in the way they hate than they seem to mention or concentrate on.

If want to ban technology that's used for file swapping, you have to ban HTTP (transmits web pages), FTP, IRC, SMTP (e-mail), and all sorts of other stuff. All sorts of bits of TCP/IP are used to transmit files illegally that maybe we should just ban the internet.

LOL, that is so true. But I'm sure there would be a sudden loss of life in the world, as people would go insane. I think I might, initially.

What the RIAA don't seem to understand is that all over the internet, in News Groups and FTP servers and IRC and all over the place, people are sharing copyrighted material.

If you want to stop this, you may as well just ban the internet.

You know, judging on how silly some of their claims have been, in all seriousness I think that that may be the next thing they will say....

Originally posted by SNGX1275
I was under the impression that it was blocking known RIAA IPs, and in that case can't the RIAA just change IPs, I mean hell they catch a few college students and settle out of court for $15,000 they don't have to do that very often to make it worth their money to change IPs every week or so. The designers of Kazaa Lite and Kazaa++ in this sense will always be 1/2 a step behind. There needs to be a way to make the RIAA 1 step behind again, seems like the RIAA has the upper hand for the first time.

I'm a big supporter of K-Lite. I've been using it forever. I even gave a donation a while back.

I think they are at least on the same step like the RIAA. I have tons of utilities, including the built in IP blocker, and PeerGuardian, and I set my firewall rules to only allow stuff that I set to pass.

They know what's going on, but they can put a little more forth and effort to make some changes.

Oh yeah, I understand why you deleted my earlier post. But here we go for another shot.
Originally posted by SNGX1275
Isn't the RIAA only going after the dudes with the highest amount shared or downloaded?

Oh, sh$%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back