Right-Click Shell Menu Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguarist

Hello all. New member here, and after doing some reading and searching, I have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer for.

I run WinXP Pro on a P4, 1.8MHz with 512DDR. My issue is that for the last couple of months, whenever I right-click in my file system program, the shell extensions menu takes almost 2 secs to appear.

I've defragged to attempt to solve the issue, but no help there.

Any ideas, or maybe a link to do some more research on this?

Excellent forum, I wish I'd have found this place long ago!! ;)

Download the XP Powertoys from MS (or just TweakUI by itself) and install TweakUi. It will be placed in your Control Panel. Double-click on it and click on the tab "General". Empty all the boxes there except "Beep on errors".
Problem solved.

Oops, I forgot my manners. Welcome to :grinthumb Techspot :grinthumb

Hi, and thanks for the Welcome, and for the idea. I'm off to do as you suggest, and I'll post back to report the results!

Have a good day, there in the Land Of Blarney.... :rolleyes:

Tweak UI installed, and the General settings as you instructed, and not the right-click context menu does appear faster than before! It appears about a sec faster than before.

I do believe we're on the right track here. Many thanks!!

In the same TweakUi, on the tab "Mouse", the first setting concerns the menu-speed. Bring the slider a bit to the left (Fast) and click OK, it will speed up the showing of the menus. Repeat until you like what you see.

Well, that got me down to only about 1 sec now until the menu appears. Not to mention all the other system menu speeds!

I started looking around, and found another setting that I used which has been bothering me for a while now.

At times, I would select a pop-up menu item, and before I could get my pointer over to it, it would disappear. I would have to move the pointer really fast to get to it.

Well, I turned off the X-mouse feature within TweakUI, and it has solved the issue very well.

Hey, I owe ya one. Buy a dark one on me, and send the bill !! :D

2realblackstuff

Well, now you've gone and done it!! You've got me addicted to system tweaking programs!! ;)

I thought I'd pass along one I just found a couple of hours ago, and I'm already VERY impressed with it. You may or may not have already heard of it, but in case you haven't, it's called X-Setup Pro, and can be had from Here .

Like Tweak UI, it's a free program, but let me tell you, it has ALL the bells and whistles. Auto download of plugins, and all that. No affiliation, but just really impressed with the power.

What do you think?

That is a well-known program, formerly from XTEQ who changed their name a while ago.
I tried it about a year ago, but it totally screwed up my Win2000 Pro. Luckily I always make a Drive Image before I install anything new, so I was up and running again within 15 minutes.

At one time I was tweak-mad too, but I am getting too old for all that playing around with settings.

Anyway, glad you found what you wanted and that I could be of assistance.

Originally posted by realblackstuff

I tried it about a year ago, but it totally screwed up my Win2000 Pro.

Well, you talk about age, and here's my take on what you wrote:

I've learned to take advice now, instead of just telling myself that it "Couldn't Happen To Me!!"

Your experience was enough to have me un-install that program. I'll stick with one that seems to be well recommended. Thanks again!!

Another tweak:

If you want the start menu to pop up faster, open regedit.exe and look for the value:

MenuShowDelay

It will have a value of 400

Change it to something lower, like 50 or 100 and the start menu will be faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back