Ripped for RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just recieved a stick of RAM I ordered from e-bay.

It is supposed to be 1GB but when I put it in and checked my RAM size, it is only displayed as 512MB. There is a sticker on the RAM stating it as 1GB (not that that's a guarentee, I know).

Also when I added my original 2 X 256MB sticks, my RAM size is displayed as 768MB.

Are there any settings I need to change to allow larger RAM sizes or am I being naive?

My motherboard is a KT3 Ultra CE MS-6380E an is supposed to allow me 3GB worth of memory.

I think it is more likely your motherboard that has problems recognizing such a large module. Is the module single sided or double sided (are ther chips on both side of the module) ?

Most likely not. Motherboards are designed to be able to handle RAM with a specific density and a specific number of layers. The only thing I can suggest is ask for a refund, or go looking for someone that will trade you.

Go to the memory-stick manufacturer's website and compare the partnumbers you find on that stick. That should tell you what you got.
Make sure you do not mix ECC (= special) and Non-ECC (= standard) memory sticks.
Try that new stick on its own. The only BIOS setting would be for ECC/Non-ECC and how the timing is interpreted (by SPD or manual).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back