Rockstar teases Red Dead Redemption 2 announcement

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Rockstar has been very tight-lipped about the next Red Dead Redemption. The last time we heard anything official about the upcoming western shooter was last spring when we learned it was being pushed back to 2018 (it was previously slated for a fall 2017 launch).

In what has become typical teasing for RDR2, Rockstar poked its head out on Twitter this morning to drop a cryptic tweet.

The message's font and tattered red background is vintage RDR so we know the date and time have something to do with the franchise. It will most likely be an announcement of some kind regarding the game but what that news could be is anyone’s guess.

So until next week, we will have to be content with speculating. Personally, I believe a release date is the most likely information to be revealed but some on Twitter think new details of the online multiplayer mode will be announced.

Regardless of what the announcement is, any word will likely be accompanied by more screenshots or another trailer (gameplay footage, anyone?). Rockstar has been good about throwing fans a bone along with official news on development.

A petition was launched nearly a year ago asking Rockstar to bring the game to PC. It has garnered more than 58,000 signatures but thus far, the game's official website still only lists support for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Permalink to story.

I have no problem with a multiplayer mode for Rockstar games, but I really hope they don't go the route they did with GTA online - promising the world for the singleplayer campaign, and ultimately tossing it to the side to go whole hog on the multiplayer elements. Singleplayer fans never got to purchase additional housing, rob liquor stores, or do any number of other things that multiplayer users got access to.

I have no problem with a multiplayer mode for Rockstar games, but I really hope they don't go the route they did with GTA online - promising the world for the singleplayer campaign, and ultimately tossing it to the side to go whole hog on the multiplayer elements. Singleplayer fans never got to purchase additional housing, rob liquor stores, or do any number of other things that multiplayer users got access to.
Why would they care about the singleplayer fans? The obvious answer would be is that they're simply not profitable enough.
I'd love RDR2 to come to PC and have a decent singleplayer experience but I'm not holding my breath. If it doesn't materialize then unfortunately I won't get to play the franchise... again.

Ain't that the truth .... the single players were what sold all it's earlier games and now were just yesterdays news .... oh well, this is one player that won't be buying any more of their stuff!

Why would they care about the singleplayer fans? The obvious answer would be is that they're simply not profitable enough.
I'd love RDR2 to come to PC and have a decent singleplayer experience but I'm not holding my breath. If it doesn't materialize then unfortunately I won't get to play the franchise... again.

Yes, this is the unfortunate truth of the matter. I completely understand and respect the decision from a business sense -- and I honestly don't think R* themselves realized how popular or profitable the multiplayer would be at first -- but it's a major disappointment for a long-time fan of the franchise. :/ I still wish them the best going forward, but I probably won't be supporting their games any further.

Yeah if they come out with essentially the same model of multiplayer (Bank bonds instead of shark cards), then I will just wait until the game is yesterdays news and patched to play single player on the cheap. I used to play GTA V online until R* thought I needed an accountant for GTA V online and robbed me.

I dumped well over 100 hours into GTAV before I even touched multiplayer, what are you talking about? I got more first playthrough fun out of GTAV than I did between Fallout 4 and Skyrim combined, before mods of course.

I absolutely LOVE the fact that GTAV kept me occupied in a world I lived well after the single player was over. Not to mention that the whole thing player like a movie.

I dumped well over 100 hours into GTAV before I even touched multiplayer, what are you talking about? I got more first playthrough fun out of GTAV than I did between Fallout 4 and Skyrim combined, before mods of course.

I absolutely LOVE the fact that GTAV kept me occupied in a world I lived well after the single player was over. Not to mention that the whole thing player like a movie.
That's excellent, and I too got a lot of gameplay out of it. My point wasn't that the singleplayer was bad, but rather that it was missing features that the multiplayer portion had - and not features that would only make sense in a multiplayer universe (such as the player's personal inventory with objects they can use, tons of outfits that would make perfect sense for any of the protagonists, buying more than one home, robbing liquor store, more heists - you get the idea).

Not to mention the lack of promised DLC for singleplayer fans. Rockstar realized how much the multiplayer portion of the game was making them, and so they shifted their focus there.

As stated before, it makes sense from a business standpoint, but it sucks for singleplayer fans like myself. Ultimately, it seems like the popularity of multiplayer almost caught them by surprise - this will not be the case in RDR2. My hope is that they don't decide "Screw the singleplayer, let's double down for our multiplayer fans" next time.

Back