Rookie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Folks, This is my first kick at the can, posting and building. Totally tired of proprietory systems so Ive decided to put together my own. I will list the components and I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions regarding my choices.
  • Athlon64 3400+
  • Asus K8V-DX
  • Kingston hyperx 3200 400 2x512
  • Maxtor 80 gb 7200rpm
  • Radeon 9800 XT 256
  • XP Pro
Will also be installing a DVD and RW. Oh, the mobo chipset is the K8T800.

Identical to what I'm building but for the proc, which I'm using the 3200+ and the hd, which I'm going with a smaller one for starters....will go for SATA in the future.....

You're right....should be rockin'. :D

buy the 3200+ and use the money u saved to buy a sata drive. u can even a radeon 9800 pro and use that money to buy a raptor. it will be a beast anywayz. the free copy of windows i think will have bugs and is the beta version. i think u will be better off will xp pro

I rechecked the specs, the difference between the 3400 and the 3200 is small and worth consideration, especially when it comes to dollars saved. The 10k raptor, I could live with that . I agree about the buggy 64 bit Windows, this being my first I think I'll stick to familiar ground for now. Sata, definately in the future, right now I just want to get a respectable system up and running with lots of room for improvements down the road. Thanks for the response Gents !

Originally posted by somekid007
buy the 3200+ and use the money u saved to buy a sata drive. u can even a radeon 9800 pro and use that money to buy a raptor. it will be a beast anywayz. the free copy of windows i think will have bugs and is the beta version. i think u will be better off will xp pro

Not sure if it's buggy, but it's only good for a year. :(

Nice System

Sounds like a beast...I just finished building mine as well. You should seriously consider going wth S-ATA drives - the prices isn't too bad, especially if you save by getting the 3200 instead of the 3400 -but that's just my opinion. I run 2 of them in addition to my system IDE HD, and I haven't had one issue at all. And let me tell you, this beast SCREAMS...next, is my gaming station...this is gonna be fun...

That machine should be an total monster. I will blow my machine out of the water for sure.
If you want my opinion you should hang fire on the 9800XT until the next-gen cards, the NV40 and RV420, come out (soon....very soon) Then either buy a next-gen card OR buy a 9800XT at knock down prices.....
And....if you are going to wait, wait for the socket 939s and dual channal athlon 64s......tasty.

Windows 64 (according to reports i have read) is fairly bug free, however there are no offical ATi drivers AND (tested on a nvidia card) gaming performance is down between 5% and 50%...so we need better drivers and an OS update or 2 before itll play games.

Steg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back