Room temp and PC Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I've been poking around, both on the net and here, looking for some cooling information. Naturally, there's a lot out there, but I haven't found the info I'm looking for, so I thought I post here.

I've got a small server set up. It's nothing fast, just a P3-500 in a mid sixe case. I've got 3 hard drives in it, the largest is a WD 160GB 7200RPM drive. The other's are smaller and slower.

Here's the problem. I'm running the server full time, and it's in an unairconditioned room in my house. The room, when I was in it yesterday, was 100F. I shut down the server and haven't turned it back on because I'm afraid I'm going to fry something.

So... anyone with any good suggestions? I've seen a fair number of HD coolers, but they all rely on fans, which, I'm thinking in a room that's over 100 degrees (and it will get over that -- it's only the start of summer, after all) those fans might not help much. I could move the computer, but it would be a major pain, and the room it would go in would often be almost as hot.

Thanks for any suggtestions.

my place doesn't have air conditioning either, and in the summer it can get well beyond 90 deg f (right now it's insanely humid). i can tell you that the heat isn't your main concern. if the system has adequate cooling and ventilation it should be good. it's the humidity, for which i keep a dehumidifier running to pretect my electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back