Router And Ethernet Switch Internet SHaring

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamer2204

i have a router/ modem that has been able to share my internet connection between 4 computers. but i want to increase this number so i got an Netcomm np2005 switch. but now the networks dont seem to interact and the internet does not work on the computers connected to the switch. is it possible to do this or do i need something else to extend my internet sharing>?
thanks

It should be as simple as plugging one cable from any port on your switch to any port on your router. Just don't use your router's WAN port as that is obviously for your modem. Most newer home switches are auto-sensing, but some may require a cross over cable and have a special 'uplink' port.... You probably don't have to worry about that junk though.

http://cws.internet.com/article/2980-.htm

ok then yea i seem to meet all the requirements except it cannot detect an ip address on the pcs connected through the switch. and the net still doesnt work when i configure the ip manually? does anyone know what i could do?
thanks

It is probably a crossover problem or maybe ethernet autonegotiation.

When you connect the switch to your router, do the corresponding LEDs light up on the router and the switch? If not, then you need a different (crossover vs straight) cable. If your switch has an "uplink" port, try using that.

I tried doing this not too long ago myself

i dont think i got a very clear answer but my situation has two routers to deal with and someone said i needed to disable dhp/ or something

A router is a completely different device from a switch (besides the fact that home routers tend to have integrated switches), so this is irrelevant here.

not trying to hijack this thread....anyway i was fishing for an answer to my prob as mine is JUST two routers

Surkitz said:
not trying to hijack this thread....anyway i was fishing for an answer to my prob as mine is JUST two routers
Start up a new thread and you'll get helped. :) DHCP is definitely something you'll need to disable on one of them, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back