router/internet connection router

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wrt54gs linksys router that my ISP just set up for me. I have 2 wired computers connected to it, and one wireless one. Either only the wired or wireless computer(s) can work at once though. The power/internet lights seem to flash on it sometimes too. How can I fix this?

Also for now I would just like to connect my computer directly to the modem, but when I do so, and try to open Internet Explorer, it says detecting proxy settings and then says cannot find page. Is there any way I can do this myself without having to call my ISP? TIA

Hi,

Have you networked all the comps using the network connection wizard, and if you want to plug the modem straight to your comp switch the modem off for at least 30secs before doing so.

Regards, Ellgor.

Also for now I would just like to connect my computer directly to the modem, but when I do so, and try to open Internet Explorer, it says detecting proxy settings and then says cannot find page.
This may not work for two reasons;
1) the ISP may have set your modem into BRIDGE mode, which then requires the router
2) OR the MAC address of the router may be registered with the ISP and
thus your PC would be rejected

shake14 said:
I have a wrt54gs linksys router that my ISP just set up for me. I have 2 wired computers connected to it, and one wireless one. Either only the wired or wireless computer(s) can work at once though. The power/internet lights seem to flash on it sometimes too.
You must have access to the router config page and have the user/password.

If so, then here's the sequence of things to do:
  1. update the router firmware
  2. config the wireless for G mode only
  3. set a new SSID
  4. choose a channel that is not being used locally

edit:
the power light flash is a sign of being reset

When you plug your computer directly into the modem, go into internet explorer | Tools | Internet Options | Connections tab | Lan Settings.... and un-tick "automatically detect settings", this should allow you back on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back