router/network trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I could give it a better title, but have no idea what the problem is.

Here are the symptoms: my network has 12 PC running W2K and some XP we share the internet via a switch/router. Most if the time it works like a charm, but all once of a while the router goes crazy resetting itself.

On the old hub network I found a worm once which caused us trouble, but with the switch I have no idea how to analyze the problem. Any idea on how to go about fixing this?

So the router actually resets itself? Usually they just crash.. Maybe it's a power issue?

Update the router firmware to the latest version.

Do you use any kind of p2p software? These can choke routers with hundreds of simultaneous connections.

Try turning off any non-critical functions on the router like uPnP, DHCP, packet filtering, intrusion detection.

yes it actualy resets itself, at one point I did think that it might be the power but none of the PCs on that same circuit turned off so I disgarded that posibility, I'll try it on a stabelizer just to be sure.

will try turning off those funcions and see what happens. it's hard to pinpoint since at times it runns great for a few days and then it resets (not crash) a few times a day. no P2p, as far as I know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back