Router Piggybacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adhmuz

I already know this is probably not as complicated as I am making it out to be but, I really hope someone can help me. My problem is that I have run out of ports on my wireless linksys router, it has four port and i need six. I do have another wired router, also linksys, which I can plug in to and get internet through it without any problems, now the tricky part. The computers on the wired router can not see those on the wireless router and vice versa. This is a really big problem because I only use one computer to store all data, all the other pcs have fairly small hard drives ranging from 5 GB to 40 GB, all my media is on my main pc (over 1 TB of hdd space). I would really like to know if there is a way of getting the routers to allow all the pcs be visible on the network, or if I just need to buy a switch/hub. If I do buy the switch/hub it must still provide internet.

Thank You

Modem -> Linksys1 -> Linksys2

Linksys1 should function as your main router and will be plugged directly into the modem.

Linksys 2 must have its "DHCP server" option disabled. You'll need to hook up a computer to it on its own, get into the web admin interface (http://192.168.1.1) and find the option to disable it. Once you get that sorted out, next, Linksys2 should have a cable plugged into its WAN (uplink) port that connects to one of Linksys1's LAN ports.

Do this, and it should work properly. If it doesn't, it probably isn't worth the headache troubleshooting. Get yourself a cheap little switch for $20.

And with a switch I'll get both internet and networking i presume? If so thank you, it's all I needed to know. And the router doesn't work like I wanted, in the configuration you mentioned I get internet but no media sharing from router 1.

You should connect the routers using their LAN ports if you want all the clients to be on the same network. The DHCP disabling still applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back