Router Problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Necrosjef

I have recently bought a Belkin Router model number F5D-7633, now i can connect to the internet using two PCs at the same time but both PCs can only download at 5kbs per second when they are both connected, even when one pc is off and one if on then the one that is on can only download at 5kbps.

So lets summarise.

No router and using direct connection via USB modem - Download speed 100kb/s (2.2MB connection)
Router plugged in and connected to only one pc - Download speed 100kb/s
Router plugged in and connected to both pcs only 1 pc on - Download speed 5kb/s
Router plugged in and connected to both pcs both pcs on - Download speed 5kb/s

I have no explanation for this but it basically means that when me and my brother try and play any game online we both get massive lagg and are forced to take turns using the internet after buying an expensive router.

I looked at various guides and matched the network card settings to 100 Full duplex on both pcs and downloaded a program called internet turbo 2003 that a friend said might help but none of these have made any difference at all.

I also tried isolating one PC outside of the NAT firewall using DMZ but again this had no effect on the speed.

I find it very strange that even one only one pc is on yet they are both plugged in that it seems to lose 90% of the connection power somewhere in the router.

Can anyone with experience of routers help me out with somesort of fix to this very annoying problem.

Thanks.

Update :

Did a few ping tests to various websites in the UK and in France and all cameback under 50ms.

Also contacted the manufacturer of the router with an email very similar to this post but this was a few days ago and I've yet to receive anything back from them despite several emails, also their customer support line is dead :(

How does the router connect to the internet? Your modem has an ethernet port too?

How are your PCs configured? Run "ipconfig /all" on one of them and post the output here.

What are you downloading to test your speed?

Well the router is using an ADSL connection its like a wire comes from the phone socket and plugs directly into the router, the router has an ADSL modem built into it.

I typed ipconfig but a blackscreen like dos flashed up then disapeared i cant see whats on it.

I've been using random downloads on www.downloads.com to test download speeds.

Use a dedicated speed measuring webpage near you (see dslreports.com -> tools -> speed tests)

You can keep the ipconfig output if you run it from command prompt - run "cmd" first and ipconfig inside that.

Well i opened cmd prompt and typed a few things ipconfig/all being one of them. Here is the information with only 1 pc connected to the router. Please tell me what you make of it.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert Skinner>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert Skinner>/all
'/all' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert Skinner>all
'all' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert Skinner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : robert-348a44e4
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-6C-E3-F8-AA
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 12, 2006 4:31:54 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:31:54 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert Skinner>

reset router add your info
set router to keep alive
with 5 to 7 min ping
don't use the usb port at all
if you want try disable dhcp in router and make all nics static follow the dir for this from the belkin website
make sure nat is enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back