Router Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruff

I just hooked up a router last night (wired) which I will be using only for a month or two. I have an old computer connected to the net and I wanted to connect my new puter as well for a while. It's not an expensive router and it hooked up quite easily. The question I have is that, after I connected the ethernet cables both computers connected to the internet flawlessly. The instructions said to then go their site and follow a setup wizard, enter the ISP info (which I can't seem to find anyways) and enter passwords etc. etc. Do I need to do this since I am connected fine? Am I leaving myself vulnerable to something? Just something that's been nagging at me brain since last night. Thanks!

If it's working it may be configured already. You can check to see if the router is giving the PC's internal IP addresses, like 192.168.x.x.

You should be able to connect to the admin control for the router by entering the routers IP in Internet Explorer. The ip will be something like 192.168.0.1

Make sure the firewall is enabled on the router and if you're using XP SP2 you can use the built in FW on the computers.

If it supports wireless network but you don't need it, turn that feature off.

you may be misunderstanfding the website term
if it's the router url your ok and yes you are already on line it's config'd
you don't need provider connection software with a router,if you are on dsl or cable
you add the info into the router firmwareby going tothe network router default url
example:192.168.1.1
change the password from default one
then enter all your isp info
your router manufactor has a link to setup specific to your typ'o isp ???
be it dialup dsl or cable
as stated ,working don't fool with it

Thanks for all the info. I basically try to live by the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto but I wasn't sure if I was leaving my computer exposed or something. I do have cable and it was the router url they wanted me to go to and use the setup wizard. Since all is well I'm not gonna mess with it. Thanks :)

you should learn to access the config panel and see what can be done with it,
after all, you may need to update the firmware someday.

the panel can be accessed by typing 192.168.0.1 as the browser URL;
notice, there's no http:// at the beginning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back