Router refreshing, can i stop that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giyad

Hey, everyday at 12:50am, my router refreshes, atleast i think thats whats happening. But I get disconnected from the internet real quick everyday at that time, i think it happens more than just once a day, but its the only time that ive really noticed it hehe. Can anyone tell me if its necessary for the router to refresh, and if not how can i change the option?

thanks

No, the router should not "refresh". The closest option to "refresh" you can find is the "disconnect ater x seconds idle" setting under WAN setup.

When you get disconncted, can you still access your router?

It may not be the router, but rather the DSL modem going thru a
RENEW cycle.

When you power-up the modem, it gets a new configuration from the ISP.
Part of that configuration is the LEASE PERIOD, giving the date+time that
the configuration MUST be reacquired. This is part of the DHCP protocol
and no, you can not do anything about it.

For completeness, the router can also play this game and you can see it
with the IPCONFIG /ALL

eg:
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 05, 2005 8:26:32 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 7:14:07 PM

Not idle

Well it is definately not idle, because I would be in the middle of doing something and i just get disconnected and it reconnects. It happens at 12:50 am and pm everyday.

The make is Linksys and the model number is BEFSR41. Cable modem.

I don't have time to check if I still have access to the router because it reconnects so quick. I guess maybe it could be the Cable modem, is there anyway for me to check that?

Thanks for the replies guys

You could call your ISP and ask them if this is a routine they do. DHCP lease renewal does not result in loss of connection unless you are dealing with extremely stupid or faulty peers.

Must be DHCP renewal

Its been a while since the last post and I thought that I didn't come up with a solution. But checking ipconfig/all i noticed that it must be the DHCP lease renewal. Since the client lease time was set to 0 and that is equivalent to 1 day, and thats what im experiencing, that must be the problem. What I've done is set the client renewal to 44640 minutes which is equivalent to 1 month. Hopefully now this will solve the problem, otherwise it must be from my ISP's end. But I did notice that it was happening as soon as my IP lease would expire. Well, I'll re-post if it works so that this can be of use to other people :)

be advised; the lease interval can/usually is reset whenever the interval expires.
The ISP uses this as a technique to manage connectivity; ie why hold a lease which
is not being used, when others are desperate to obtain one?

Solved!

So that solved it... I checked ipconfig/all and the lease is not from February 1, 2006 4:29 AM to March 4, 2006 4:29 AM. So I guess it shouldn't be resetting anymore.

I contacted my ISP about this and they said that even though the client IP lease refreshes it shouldn't skip a beat and I shouldn't get disconnected, maybe this is a unique case but I am getting disconnected... so.... I guess im right in this case and my ISP sucks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back