Router slowing connection then eventually stopping it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already taken this problem to the Linksys tech support with no avail. Maybe, I can find a solution here.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router using Verizon Online DSL. My problem is that my internet will slow down and eventually stop working and usually the solution to it is for me to unplug, wait 30 sec and plug my router back in. However, this provides only a temporary solution as hours later the problem will arise again. Basically, websites and everything will work fine, then hours later websites will take forever to load or not load at all. Some internet applications already online will work like AIM or Warcraft III. However, if i disconnect them they do not connect. I usually have 3 computer connected to my router which will run normally for a while then eventually bottleneck. I tried each individually with the internet and I have no problems of lag or such.

The people at Linksys have already had me lower my MTU over and over again till it got to 1250 but that didn't work. They had me make a clone of my MAC address and that didn't work. I'm tired of constantly having to unplug my router in order to refresh the connection. I also tried to upgrade the firmware from v4.0 to 4.30 but all that did was make the application, NetSet(which usually auto sets up the router for internet), not work. I am really frustrated with this problem as all my previous attempts at fixing it have failed. Can someone help me?

Are you running any p2p applications? Any chance of your PCs being hijacked and used as spam bots?

In the router config, try disabling fancy and unneeded services like packet filtering, upnp, even DHCP.

Ok I disabled upnp and dhcp. I can't find where packet filtering is though. Also for the firmware updates. I have v4.3, should I dl the newest firmware they have or slowly update them like v5 then v6.

Mn3MoN1C said:
Ok I disabled upnp and dhcp. I can't find where packet filtering is though. Also for the firmware updates. I have v4.3, should I dl the newest firmware they have or slowly update them like v5 then v6.
move directly to the most current

Well, according to the bottom of my router it says V2 so the latest firmware is 4.30 which is what I have so a firmware upgrade won't be the fix then.

Nodsu said:
Are you running any p2p applications?
This is a very important clue that I haven't seen an answer for.

Many P2P applications such as Bittorrent cause similar problems as you described, causing network performance to take a dive as the router becomes overwhelmed with routing massive amounts of network traffic.

And I know you don't want to hear this, but some of the newest incarnations of the WRT54G are horrible. You'd be better off getting another router than trying to troubleshoot this mess. But I have to warn you - with P2P traffic - Many routers exhibit the same problems, not just the WRT54G.

Well, I am running bittorrent and I would understand if that caused the slowdown. However, when I first came home and started running it, I had no such problem as I do now. The problem has been going on since about mid July. I'm not sure what happened that caused this problem to just pop up but does anyone have a suggestion for another router that is wired and wireless like the wrt54g.

The v2 is a relatively old WRT model and should be one of the "good" ones..

In your BT client's configuration, limit the maximum amount of connections. Set it to something low like 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back