Router slowing down web pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taffia77

I've connected a Safecom SWBR-5400 router to my BT Broadband Voyager 220V modem. The problem I'm having is that SOME webpages, including techspot and the techspot forums take an absolute age to load. Other pages load fine, even if they have lots of images on them, and yet other pages, such as some image galleries load up half way, stall, then continue to load.
I'm getting all the pages to load in eventually, and my download speed when downloading files is what it was before the router was installed.
I can only assume the router is to blame for the slower loading speeds - anyone have any ideas why?

Settings? I suppose that your modem was connected to your network card before, and it was fine. Have you disabled things like PPPoE or anything related to connection on your computer? Your connection's username and password should be on your router. There are other things like keep-alive or maybe something else. Maybe there's a buffer that is too small?

DragonMaster said:
Settings? I suppose that your modem was connected to your network card before, and it was fine. Have you disabled things like PPPoE or anything related to connection on your computer? Your connection's username and password should be on your router. There are other things like keep-alive or maybe something else. Maybe there's a buffer that is too small?

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes the connection was fine beforehand. PPPoE is nort enabled - should it be?
As for the buffer, do you know how I could change that? And I'm afraid I don't have the first clue what you mean when you mention keep-alive!!!

No, your computer should just be set as a normal LAN computer. (Network card drivers installed with default settings works)

About keep-alive, this is a setting that you normally see next to the PPPoE options of your router. It's "reconnecting" every 30 seconds normally(So it can't disconnect).

About the buffer, I talk about the hardware buffer of your router, which can'T be changed unless you have an other one.

Just thinking it could be a disabled port...

does the slow down occur ONLY on specific sites or just random sites at unpredictable times?

post back with the name of your ISP and get the DNS via ipconfig /all

on dsl or cable
if cable you don't use pppoe
you may not need to enter any pass as most cable co's use your modem mac address to connect
check your MTU should be 1500 or 1492 one will work better
in router disable dhcp may help as some routers conflict with dhcp and the dhcp the modem gets from provider
dsl should be 1492 not 1500 for mtu

I set my nics up for static even though most dsl is dynamic and you can lose connection on power dwn and back up
I had my dsl set to always on and check connection (keep alive ) 5 min's
if you are on dsl and had there software for modem connection uninstall it is not needed
reset the modem then connect the router
power the nic off(pull the plug)

Hi guys, thanks for the stuff so far. I'm at work today now so won't be able to try any of the stuff you've said until tonight. Two things though - in answer to jobeard it is on specific sites. For instance Techspot takes about 40secs to load each page, the BBc loads in all text and a couple of pictures instantly, while other (smaller) pictures take about 40 secs too - also it's ALWAYS the same pictures. Another forum that I use loads in instantly (as it should) and that has loads of pictures on it.
Samstoned - I'm on DSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back