Roxio: Please help me get rid of this crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help is needed from you clever ones. A version of Roxio was installed on my PC (i think it was Easey CD etc version 8) I uninstalled it in order to use Nero which I prefer. OK so far, and Nero works, but whenever I reboot 2 Roxio cd emulators (image drives) load up, I have searched the registry but cannot find any mention of them, I have removed them in Device manager but as soon as I reboot they appear again. Also when dragging and dropping some MP3 files onto a memory card a Roxio message popped up telling me I may lose some info or something on the MP3 file, and did I want to continue. Where is all crap stored??? can someone please guide me through destroying this parasite. I have looked everywhere I can think of for mentions to Roxio and Sonic on my system but find nothing. This thing is like a virus. Thanks GJM .
PS I tried to join the Roxio forum for help but it just kept sending me around in circles.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Click start/run and type msconfig into the run box, and press the enter key.

When the windows appears, click on the startup tab, and look for any Roxio entries. If you find any, untick them. click apply/ok, and restart your system.

Once your system has restarted you will see a Windows that says "you have used msconfig to make changes etc. Tick the box that says not to run msconfig the next time the system starts, and click ok.

If that doesn`t work. Cluick start/run, and type services.msc into the run box, and press the enter key.

When the window appears maximise it. Look for any references to roxio etc. if you find any, double click on them, and select stop if they are running. Set sthe startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

still not fixed

Thanks for the suggestions, but this has still not fixed it. There was no mention of Roxio in the start up list etc. Any other ideas anyone??

If Howard's reply doesn't work;
Go to Nero there is a clean up tool for both Adaptec (Roxio; that's why you didn't catch everything in the Registry) and general cleaner for Nero.

You will find after you clean Roxio ;
- uninstall Nero run the general clean up utility for it.
-Then reinstall Nero ,update + firmware for Roms
- rebuild your ASPI layer (Roxio uninstall will corrupt it )
-Use Force ASPI utility to kill ,clean and install new.

Nero and Roxio really dislike each other on the same machine.

Hi, thanks for trying to help. I went to Nero but found nothing regarding the removal af Adaptec, just the general clean up tool. I have run this but the Roxio rubbish still remains. I have also tried using the roxio zap utility but that failed also. Perhaps you could post the link to the adaptec tool. I have looked in the registry but found no mention of Adaptec products. Any other ideas?? Thanks

This page has the Registry Clean Tool ; this is the one that should help.It is best to do a clean install of Nero after. Also programs that start on there own can be controlled by going to HKLM & HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
Current Version\ run Carefully check what files are set to start ,You can remove an item( key value) here as long as you know exactly what you are doing.
Backup first.

If you are not sure about messing in the Registry

Type " msconfig " > enter and use the selective start up tools to determine what is starting , but this is really a short term solution .

Registry correction is the best. Just be careful. and

*****Backup First *****

The tools on this site http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/enu/Clean_Tools.html
Are designed to clean up drivers that conflict with Nero, they don't mention Adaptec by name. You just run the cleaner and check with the Registry checker because you must remove some "manually "
You can use the Find utility in the registry . (Edit>Find Next) it will dig out every instance of the names of Keys ,setting etc.
Also if you use msconfig you can see the name of .exe files that are starting you must delete these from registry and Explorer,cheeck in Temp/Tmp files as well. When you send them to the Recycler. delete them from there also

Roxio ZAP is N O T A G O O D P R O G R A M !!!
I installed it on my laptop because google gave it as a hit when i tried to look for a free download of an MP3 editor.
Now, whenever I move a file from one folder to another, the windows installer starts, asking for the install CD of "Easy CD & DVD Creator 6". Of which I actually own the original legal licensed CD with valid reg key, but I do not have it installed, because I use Nero now.
Recognizing it as ware of some sort, I tried to uninstall RoxioZAP first, no result. Anti spyware like Hitman Pro 2.0 didnt recognize it. Updated Panda didn't recognize it.
I do not need to get rid of installed Roxio software (at the moment there isnt any) I need to get rid of these very annoying Roxio installers asking for the Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 install CD with file "1" on it, at every time I move a file. Needless to say, when I did insert said CD in the end, the file wasn't on there and did not resolve the issue.

When you get that install window leave it open and ,Press Ctrl+Alt+DEl cheque running programs and look in running processes. You are looking for the .exe name for the service.
You can then do a search and find and Delete the files. You may have to do a Find Next search in your Registry editor to kill everything.
Just do a back up or Restore point first.

reviving this old thread because I am having difficulty removing roxio media 7 from my old laptop. It's a no-go so far.

Anybody got the steps for removal?

Its like a virus

Hi, the only way i could get rid of it was to go into the Registry and go through everything one by one and delete anything that mentioned Roxio. even now I still get the odd warning pop up that is Roxio based but not enough to bother me. I contacted the manufacturers who were unable to help remove it other than suggesting to do what I ended up doing.

Sorry i cant be more help.
Glyn

You got that right bud. I had to forcefully delete most of the registry lines, and use programs like killbox plus unlocker assistant to delete the remnants. I still have the main program listed under add/remove programs, but the entire program and subsets are at least deleted. It really acts like a virus and while the program works fine, it is bulky and there lots of free open source alternatives that are not as instrusive. The software manufacturer has really pissed me off with such aggression. I had to be careful when deleting because I also use GOBACK - also made by roxio - and that's a program I use all the time and has saved my rear many times.

I'm still having difficulty deleting the entry from add/remove programs in the control panel - even though the program itself is gone.

update: I was able to use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 2.5.0.1 to remove the offending titles from add/remove programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back