RtacDbg

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnievinnie

Hello all
Thanks for any help in advance

i have noted that on occasion I was suddenly being told that i had no space left on my hard drive.
This message disappeared on restart.
It has happened on a drive with 25+gb free. On further investigation the file RtacDbg, a txt file was found in the windows folder with a size amounting to all the missing space.
On searching the web 'the greenbutton' has a thread which suggests it may link to use of a wireless network adapter WG111v2 netgear.I am indeed using just such a piece of equipment.
The is not that clear and does not go into the details of why it happens or how to prevent it in future.
I shall question netgear as to whether the file is linked to thier software/hardware operation.
In the meantime if anyone has more details please post.
I will update with my findings.
The adapter is running in conjunctions with a DG834g modem/router. The latest update to the adapter software is installed.
OS XP.

regards

vinnievinnie

The file does indeed appear to have something to do with your wireless network.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Windows\Rtacdbg.txt

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

That should get rid of it for now. However, I can`t find any info on how to stop it being created. Perhaps Netgear will be able to advise you of that.

Regards Howard :)

thanks Howard

Dear Howard

Thank you for your very prompt and clear reply, much appreciated. I should clarify more about my postion.
Hidden files were already on visible which is how I could see it was the RTacDbg txt file that had taken all the space. It is an intermitent problem and I am not able to say specifically when this file jumps into action and starts taking all the free space. It does however, not happen all the time and indeed after a restart the file goes back to 2 or 3 kb size. It currently stands at 14 kb after the system last had to be restarted several hours ago. Before that on initial startup the file had taken over several GBs in a matter of less than a minute. This may or may not link to the fact I had not turned on the modem/router at that point. I will inform you of any response from Netgear.
Thank you once again

regards

vinnievinnie

Update
I cannot say I am impressed with netgear support response.
The gentleman thinks it is a virus problem but did not specify the particualr virus he thinks it is or why he thinks this. I did point out the machine has up to date virus and firewall protection. I have asked them for clarification and specific details. I shall await their repsonse. I do not believe it is a virus issue, as it is very intermittent/sporadic and i am very methodical with protection.
2 out of 10 so far Netgear. The 2 is for responding to my request for help.

regards

vinnievinnie

update 2

Second reply from netgear.
A different person.
Their reply was to try the adapter out on a different PC.
I replied back with the question as to how many PC's do they think I have at my disposal? The answer is one.
The one I'm currently using the adapter on.
I do not think it was a helpful reply and I do not think the technician had done any work on finding out any real info to help me. I pointed him in the direction of the web and the posts that already detail issues with the RTacDbg file. I'm now uncertain as to whether I am the customer being helped by netgear or the technician who is helping netgear sort out their product.
Could my patience be wearing a little thin I wonder?

regards

vinnievinnie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back