running games in high priority

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading a few articles of late about running games in high priorty can improve performance/smoothness of frame rate.

i tried it on a few of my games and it worked great but i have just one problem with it.

when i run a game with high priority my PC seems to have problems accessing the CD and/or DVD Drive. it almost feels like the system is not giving the cd-drive enough time to get all the information before the game kicks in with its high priority wanting cpu time. It can take almost 10-20 minutes depending on how much info is needed from the CD.

running the game normally is fine and also copying the cd to a cd image on the hard drive and running the game high priority from the cd image also works fine.

i just have no idea how to overcome this it sounds as if the game is not giving windows enough time to access the CD Drive.

Doe anyone know how i can change this? Maybe change the priority of a system service to give it same priority as the game?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

High priority, in my opinion, is too high of a priority setting for a game. "Above Normal" is probably ideal, becuase it will give your system a chance to breathe, so to speak.

hey,

Think it may of just been that particular installtion of windows as i now run games in high priority perfectly. Not that i do that much anyway cos it doesn't seem to make that much difference!

I used to set it by creating a batch file that pointed to the game .exe

e.g.

START C:\Games\SPEED2.exe /HIGH

then i just used that batch file instead of the original shortcut!

Thanks for replying to my post!!

Yeah, if you want your box to be responsive you might want the app to run as above normal. Look how many processes run as above normal. If it's set to above normal it doesn't compete with any other processes, wich you do if you run them as high, or worse yet, realtime. This is best done on an smp system as the other cpu will still respond to input while the other is busy with your app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back