Running Half Life 1 in Windows XP... Any way to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi people!

I´ve just discovered my old Half-life 1 cd. I really liked that game.

Today I tried to install it in XP, but it just says that the game has a known compatibility issue with XP. Then it allows me to start the game, I can get into the menu, but when I try to start the game, it asks me for the cd, while it´s inserted in the drive.

I have no idea how to make it run :confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response!

Now Half-Life finally runs again, thanks for the help swker98!

See you in the forums! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Hi guys
I've had the same problem with Half Life 1. I may be being a bit thick, but where do you get the patches? Should I load the Steam software from a HL2 disk. Any ideas on this would save the day!
Thanks

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work! The download takes place and then FilePlanet says that to access the file I have to subscribe (and pay!!). I have subscribed to IGN successfully, but it doesn't seem to do any good. Any clues?
Thanks

Fileplanet lets you download for free. Go to that page he links above again and have a more detailed look. There are the fast, paid servers for downloads, or there are the slower, free servers.

If you are still having trouble finding the 1.1.1 patch to download, just google for Half Life patch. There are other sites where you don't have to register and can download free. I've done it. Try here.

For nearly any game that has been out for awhile, it is a safe bet there are one or more patches for it. I always do a search for one before installing any game unless I know it is too new to have a patch.

Edit: To update link.

Hey guys, I have exact same problem, I install it, get to the main menu, then it says to insert disc even if it's already in there.......the says cannot validate Half-Life. I've gotten it to work on XP before, but now it won't work, can someone please tell me how to find this patch for free......I love this game and really need it to work

All game patches are free. At least I've never heard of anyone charging for it. I fixed the link in my previous post but, really, all I did was google for half life patch and found a ton of sites.

I never heard of any compatability issues with XP. Just last month I played through HL1 with no problems whatsoever on XP... all settings maxed @ 1680 rez & got anywhere from 400-2500 frames per second!!!

I think I have 1.1.1, never had any problems with Half-Life on XP. You can, but don't need to register to Steam, all you need is a recent enough patch.

If you're logged into your IGN account, you just have to try logging in to fileplanet, and then you can just click on your IGN account and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back