Running out of space on my C Drive. Can I delete a partition and use it to add room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if I can delete a partition and use the unallocated space for my C drive? or is there a way for me to copy my os on to a new HDD without starting over? (I sat on my XP cd and cracked it) Thanks

You need special software to resize your C: partition into the unallocated space.

Partition Magic is the tool of choice for such operations.

Also, if your XP is official, you should be able to get a replacement CD. Contact M$.

When buying a new large(r) HD, quite often there is transfer-software included.
You could use that to transfer the C-partition of the "old" disk onto the new one, where you could make the "receiving" partition bigger than your current C-drive.

A better idea would be to install programs on a separate partition, rather than all on the C-drive in "Program Files". Uninstall a few "biggies" and re-install them on another partition. Problem solved.

You can always install programs to other partitions, they don't have to be on the same partition as windows. As realblackstuff said.

Thanks I got Options now

Thanks for the help. I just joined yesterday and I gotta say you guys know how to make a newbie feel at home. I'm going to try to transfer my C drive to the new hard drive and make it a bigger Partition. Ok another dumb question. Do :eek: I put my new hard drive as my slave and then use the supplied software that came with the New hard drive or the software that came with the Hard drive thats installed now?

That (new) software should have all the instructions for it. Normally you install the new HD as slave, do your transfer-stuff, then switch off, swap the HDs and set old-master to slave and set the new-slave to master. When you reboot, check in the BIOS that HD-detection is set to automatic for both drives, or use the HD-detection part of the BIOS first. Then you can wipe the "old" HD that is now slave, if everything works to your liking.

It WORKED

It worked just like you said Blk stuff. I was a little confused at first but i figured it out. It,s so nice not seeing the "Running very low on disk space" message. Thanks to all.

If my hard drive came with software, I can't find it. Is there any generic third part software out there that can do this same thing?

Any disk cloning/partitioning software will do it but it won't be as easy for an inexperienced user.

Have you tried looking on the hard drive manufacturers website?

I have used seagate utility for other hard drives (IEDE only)
they have a nice program (free) it worked for me
but you know your taken a chance as it was written for seagate drives.
DiscWizard by seagate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back