Ryzen 5000 CPU support is coming to 400 series chipsets sooner than expected

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Good news for AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPU owners looking to run their shiny new processors in older 400 series motherboards as multiple board suppliers have seemingly decided not to wait until 2021 to roll out updated BIOSes supporting the new chips.

AnandTech points out that several ASRock B450 motherboards now have updated BIOSes available to download that add Zen 3 support. Indeed, a quick check reveals that many B450 boards do have new BIOSes that were made available on November 19 but the descriptions are vague, only saying that they optimize system compatibility.

Asus’ official ROG Twitter channel on November 18 teased that 400 series BIOS updates (AGESA 1.1.8.0) for AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPUs will be available “in a couple of weeks.” Biostar echoed similar sentiments on November 22, noting that Ryzen 5000 series support was “coming soon.”

In related news, Tom’s Hardware is also reporting that ASRock has enabled Smart Access Memory (SAM) on B450 motherboards. SAM up to this point has only worked with 500 series boards running a Radeon 6000 series GPU like the RX 6800 and a Ryzen 5000 CPU.

Of course, for many, the toughest task will be finding a Ryzen 5000 series CPU in stock. All of the new chips sold out within minutes of launch and are still out of stock at major retailers.

Permalink to story.

If only those 5000 series processors were available...
yeah, but all new tech is sold out right now and I don't think different companies in different industries conspired together to create shortages.

It's all good news.There are plenty of very capable 450 boards out there and I remember well the rush to buy the tacky 500 boards for last gen Ryzen.....''power to the people''!

yeah, but all new tech is sold out right now and I don't think different companies in different industries conspired together to create shortages.

Oh, I agree that there is no conspiracy. AMD, Nvidia, Sony and Microsoft would all love to have more product to sell. They are in business to make money. It's still disappointing that all this stuff is unavailable.

My asrock b450 was among the first to get support but I think I will pass - I bought my Ryzen 2700 for 250 eur and the 5800x costs around 560 eur currently in my country (with an unknown delivery date). I don't think I really need the upgrade since I am gaming at 4k with an rtx 3070.

I am also a bit worried about updating BIOS since the only time I did that (many years ago) the MOBO I had back then died.

My asrock b450 was among the first to get support but I think I will pass - I bought my Ryzen 2700 for 250 eur and the 5800x costs around 560 eur currently in my country (with an unknown delivery date). I don't think I really need the upgrade since I am gaming at 4k with an rtx 3070.

I am also a bit worried about updating BIOS since the only time I did that (many years ago) the MOBO I had back then died.
Updates on the board are always optional with AMD.Tricky as it was hope for the best.

I can confirm a new beta BIOS exists for my ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming motherboard, but it can't be reversed and is not recommended if you aren't upgrading to a Ryzen 5000 series CPU.

I've often wondered how it is that they release graphics cards that are so close in performance. Like the gtx 970 and the 390 or the rx 480 and the 1060.

Oh, I agree that there is no conspiracy. AMD, Nvidia, Sony and Microsoft would all love to have more product to sell. They are in business to make money. It's still disappointing that all this stuff is unavailable.

If you live near a Microcenter, you can ask any sales associate when they get shipments in. My store in Chicago gets their shipment the night before T/Th/Sat, stock should be ready day of. I was able to score a 5900x this past Sat . I checked the website at 8am, store opens at 9am, and the website said it had 1 in stock. I got there a little before 8:50 am and there were about 30 people in line. They actually had gotten 3080,3090,6800,6800xt and about 20 5900x, some 5800x, and 5700x. No dice on the 5950x.

Let's see it as "glass half full", shall we? First arrives the support, then the processors :)

(I know, it was supposed to be the other way around, but hey, so many things turned upside down, why not this )

Tuesday around 6 pm, the Micro Center here in Houston got a shipment of 5800X, 14 total , no line at all , when I got there at 7pm ,ask for the 5800X , sales person pulled one from the cage, only 3 left !
my X470 BIOS has more bell an whistles , than I know what to do with 😂

Last edited:
That is wonderful, now if people could get their hands on those CPUs they could enjoy those benefits. LOL

Back