Safely Remove Hardware icon disapeared..

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Safely Remove Hardware Icon has disappeared from the system tray. Does anyone know how I can restore it? I frequently plug and unplug a USB memory stick, and I don't want to corrupt the files on it.

Run your windows disc in repair mode, or Service Pack 2 disc.
Or you can go to Start-> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager, and remove "USB Human Interface Device".
Then reboot, and allow Windows to find it.

It does not show up when you plug in the USB stick?

I have seen some systems that do not show it unless something that needs to be removed is attached.

Also you can try going to My Computer and choosing Eject... on the USB drive letter.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Thanks.

No go..

I tried uninstalling the Human Interface Device and letting Win XP redetect it. Still no icon in the system tray. Right clicking on the drive and clicking on Eject works sometimes, but sometimes I get a message that it is still in use...which it is not.
Haven't tried the repair using the Pack 2 disk...am a little reluctant to do that because I'm thinking that might replace a lot of fixes that were applied since that disk was installed. Right?

Did you try to restore it through TaskBar / Tray Properties?

1. Right-click on tray space (eg. around clock)
2. Properties (menu)
3. Customize (button)
4. Safely Remove Hardware (select)
5. Always Show (box)
6. Ok (button)

I get to the 4th step (Safely Remove hardware (select), but the window brought up by the Customize button doesn't have any selection like that.
(I'm using Windows XP Home, if that helps). The icon used to be there, but dissappeared somewhere along the way.

Try:

Start --> Run -> RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

When the dialog box pops up, fool around with it a bit then leave it by clicking < Close > ( not by clicking [x] )

Chances are, you might get your icon back in the System Tray.
If not the first time, try it a few times
:D

do what the guy above said, when the dialog appears there is an option to check the safely remove hardware icon in the system tray, just check it.

i followed his advice and checked that it appeared right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back