Safely transporting PC. Precautions??

Steve B

I'm housesitting soon, so old faithful is coming with me. The last time I took it in the car, the Hard Drive pooed itself. Maybe coincidence, maybe vibration??

I dont wanna go through re-installing everything, let alone the expense of a new drive.

Anyone got any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas (I mean not "drive slower" etc...) I did keep 2 wheels on the ground:rolleyes:

Just use common sense. Perhaps sandwich it between a number of pillows, bed sheets or towels in a secure place where it won't be tilting back and forth.

When I shipped my computer via UPS, something I did was take the important parts out (Hard drives and heatsink because it could have fallen off and damaged components if jarred enough etc..) and ship them seperately, to ensure they were wrapped properly and not thrown around. Because that is what happens with large, bulky items... They get thrown around.

Perhaps you can apply this idea to your move.

Ground yourself before you take the pc out of the car. Riding in cars and sliding around on the seats actually generates alot of static electricity. A considerable number of people blow themselves up every year refuling their cars because they get back into the driver's seat while fuleing because of poor weather and such-then when they get out to remove the nozzel from the tank-KABOOM!

Static electricity... ahhh, now I sometimes get a good blast getting out of the car. A hairraising experience. I'd better put an antistatic strap on it.

They were everywhere in the 70's and 80's, but you don't see em much anymore...

It could just be the awesome power of my $500 '84 Toyota Corona...It does awesome "keybangers" though...You know, coast, turn the key off, press the accelerator, key on and BANG!!!!

Hilarious in the right circumstances, and I'm in my 30's...
2nd childhood? never finished the 1st.;)

Maybe you should get a laptop.... :D But yeah, like Rick said

Rick: Just use common sense. Perhaps sandwich it between a number of pillows, bed sheets or towels in a secure place where it won't be tilting back and forth.

That's what I do everytime I bring my computer to work, friends house, brothers house, anywhere for that matter.

Along the same lines of securing the case as a whole, be sure your screws inside are tightened up (not obscenely, just not loose). I'm not sure what precautions would be reasonable for a CPU/Heatsink, but I would think there'd be a way to secure those slightly better than just sitting there.

When I've transported my machine, it typically goes in the back seat footwell, with padding around it. That way I can use the seat to secure it from wiggling too much. On occasion, though, I've seatbelted them in when I knew it'd be safe for the scenario.

If you're overly concerned about this component, or that one, you can always yank it as Rick said and pack it seperately as to pad it. Of course, static is bad, so keep it in mind.

Final word of advise.. cars get hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Take into consideration the thermal factors.. crack the windows, and let the machine sit for a bit after moving it back inside to let it reacclimate to the conditions without causing undue condensation or other problems.

I spoke to one guy who recommended securing it HORIZONTALLY so the heads dont scratch the hard disc itself. It would also take pressure off the heatsink mounts too I 'spose.

I've still got a few weeks to knaw my fingernails before going...
:(

I think if the HDs are newer than about 8-10 years old I don't think you have to worry about the heads doing anything. They should be parked securely when the computer is shutdown. I've read the labels on some of the disks I've owned and they've had g-force shock ratings of what the disks can take :D

Originally posted by Steve B
It could just be the awesome power of my $500 '84 Toyota Corona...It does awesome "keybangers" though...You know, coast, turn the key off, press the accelerator, key on and BANG!!!!

I do hope you're not driving an automatic :eek:

But I brought my box with me on a trip one time, it was on a plane, and I left my 1kg or so heatsink screwed in, and I fried a system board. Returned it to newegg and it was alright, no cost to me, but my it was inconvenient :p

Now I take the hard drives (all 5 of them :() and the heatsink out whenever I ship it.

Need help transporting computer, fedx, UPS, USPS?

My son has a very expensive computer that he left out in Arizona where he went to school, and came home by Greyhound to Ohio.

He doesn't know the best way to send his computer -- and since he is a college student, he doesn't have a lot of money.

Any suggestions or your own experiences?

Thanks!

Back