Sam And Max Dos Install Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweakster

I have 1 Harddisk split into 2. The D: disk has a 20mb of space left though i could free up more because i use D: to backup files. I am using WINME and i presume that both partitions are Fat32. Could i install Dos into the partition without deleting anyfiles so that i can run Sam And max? i have sound blaster live and Geforce3 what files would i need to install? I dont really have the omph to run another harddisk.

There are some problems with this setup. WinME's DOS is hidden, so it won't allow you to boot into MS-DOS mode.
If your D: partition is FAT32, you'll need dos files from MS-DOS 7.x, ie. Win98.
Then you'd use sys command to copy system files to D:, but that would render C: unbootable, as sys rewrites boot sector.
SB Live! needs DOS drivers. I'm not sure about new cards but the original Live! had DOS drivers in Live!Ware 1.0 (yes, 1.0, not 2.0 or 3.0). Sam & Max uses VESA video modes that might not be available in new gfx card BIOSes.
So you'd need UNIVBE or similar Vesa "emulators".
Can't WinME run it in DOS box? It might need EMS memory, too.

I can get the game to run but for some reason sound wont work. I read that thats because WINMW isnt 100% compatible with DOS mode. Anyideas?

You could try selecting plain Sound Blaster or Sound Blaster Pro in Sam & Max, SB emulation IRQ 5 or 7, IO address 220, DMA 1. That usually works. If it doesn't, then it just doesn't run in a DOS box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back