Same brand, same speed, different size ram problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a PNY 3200 1 GB stick for my computer, to add on to my 512 MB PNY 3200. Each are the same exact brand and speed, only difference is in the size. They work flawlessly when separate, but not well at all together. I can guess that the two different sizes is what is causing the probelm, but I want to know if there is a setting or upgrade that can possibly fix this.

Intel P4 2.4 GHz
PCChips M955G Mobo
PNY 3200 1GB and 512 MB RAM

they may be the same brand and speed, but they probably have different timings which is most likely where your problem lies. that mobo cannot run memory in dual channel mode, so even if they did work together you would have no use for that 512MB RAM stick, therefore i highly doubt that you need more than 1GB of RAM.

Remove the 512MB and run it with the single 1GB RAM stick. I seriously doubt that even if they worked together that you would notice any difference in performance with or without the 512MB RAM stick

if you want to upgrade, then return the 1GB stick and get an identical 512MB stick as you already have, and buy a mobo that can run your RAM in dual-channel mode. That is where you will see your greatest performance gain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back