Samsung exec explains why the Galaxy Fold beats Huawei's Mate X

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Despite a price tag that's close to $2000, Samsung expects there will be plenty of people ready to buy its Galaxy Fold device when it arrives next month. But the company is facing competition in the form of rival Huawei’s Mate X, which many believe has a better design. Unsurprisingly, Samsung disagrees with this perception.

The Galaxy Fold uses a book-style form factor, whereby the phone opens up to expose the tablet on the inside. There’s also a single display on the outside that resembles a traditional handset. Huawei’s Mate X, on the other hand, uses an out-folding design that turns the single, 8-inch display into a smartphone. Unlike the Galaxy Fold, the Mate X folds completely flat, making it look much cleaner than Samsung’s device.

Speaking to the subscription-only Australian Financial Review, Samsung’s executive vice-president of R&D, Eui-suk Chung, thinks his company went down the right path with this design, which he says was the more difficult option.

“You open it like a book. You close it like a book. It’s much more natural than doing it the other way around, so we went for that even though it presents the harder technical challenge,” Chung said.

Chung acknowledged that the Galaxy Fold doesn’t close completely due to technology not allowing a screen to fold flat like paper, but he said it’s better than having the screen on the outside like the Mate X, which will likely be more prone to scratches and damage. He added that there’s more chance of “user error,” such as calling someone by mistake, with Huawei's foldable.

Last month, Huawei revealed that its original prototype of a folding phone used the same book-style design as Samsung, but the project was killed off because it was “not good.”

"I feel having two screens, a front screen and a back screen, makes the phone too heavy," said CEO of Huawei's mobile business, Richard Yu.

Several other companies (but not Apple) are working on foldable phones right now, and Samsung is reportedly set to unveil two more of the devices in the near future, one of which will use a clamshell design.

Permalink to story.

Anytime you hear an executive of a particular company touting why their product is better you can bet there will NO real, honest, and complete assessment of the product. it's for that reason that I would not post those video's to this channel. The site serves its viewers best when it keeps the "editorial" aspect of products at bay and focuses on the real news and/or evaluations by outside bodies that are not connected with the aforementioned products ......

To be honest, I prefer Huawei's over Samsung's foldable phone.

1.) Samsung purposely hid the GIANT camera notch on the front of the device in all of their promo videos.
2.) Huawei's has a more natural look to it than Samsung's. The fold just looks weird on Samsung's.

Folding phones is an answer to a question NO ONE ASKED.

#1 Glass doesn't fold. So now you're going back to plastic or a polycarbonate.

#2 Repeated folding is going to show stress eventually. It's just physics.

#3 People buy Androids because they are cheaper than iPhone.

I bought my mom a LG Stylo 4 for less than $250 and was very impressed by the features.

I bought my girlfriend a Samsung J6 last year. Very impressed with the specs. Again, less than $250.

Who the hell, is spending $1980...or $2600 on a damn phone?

I bought an XS Max 512GB only because I knew it would make its cost back on my Youtube (which it did) . $1577 with tax. I would have paid a little more for 1TB. But the average buyer can't possibly afford these prices.

"Who the hell, is spending $1980...or $2600 on a damn phone?"

Corporation and enterprises...That's who...They buy them and they write them off!

Not just a phone, also a mini tablet...

"I bought an XS Max 512GB only because I knew it would make its cost back on my Youtube (which it did)"

I arrest my case!

Brave companies pioneering this, personally I can’t see it taking off, a small phone and a large iPad is how I roll, I don’t want some kind of chunky compromise of the two.

Brave companies pioneering this, personally I can’t see it taking off, a small phone and a large iPad is how I roll, I don’t want some kind of chunky compromise of the two.

I agree. I don't see myself ever being interested in this, at least in its current form.

I bought my mom a LG Stylo 4 for less than $250 and was very impressed by the features.

I bought my girlfriend a Samsung J6 last year. Very impressed with the specs. Again, less than $250.

I bought an XS Max 512GB only because I knew it would make its cost back on my Youtube (which it did) . $1577 with tax. I would have paid a little more for 1TB. But the average buyer can't possibility afford these prices.
Eh...no! After 2014 I saw that technology for phones had stagnated, and there was no real benefit to spending over $250 on a PHONE. I earn a reasonable pay, and trust me, I don't buy apple because Android is cheap, I just don't like Apple, even when they were realising the SE, I couldn't care less about it, because some, like me, don't want Apple!! Ever!!!

I bought an XS Max 512GB only because I knew it would make its cost back on my Youtube (which it did) . $1577 with tax. I would have paid a little more for 1TB. But the average buyer can't possibly afford these prices.

#3 Even if you don't believe it, many of us buy Android phones because they are better.

#3 Even if you don't believe it, many of us buy Android phones because they are better.

All those 3rd world people living on less than $5000 USD a year buy them because they are CHEAP.

And there are over 3 BILLION of those people.

They don’t even have Apple stores nearby because there’s no point.

This is just what the American smartphone buying public needed, opposing sociopaths/CEOs bullsh!ting them in two different Chinese dialects.

Back