Samsung external monitor debacle

sdms96825

In August I purchased one of the new Samsung Series 9 laptops with Windows 7 64-bit. I love the laptop. However, due to eyesight problems, I need to connect it to an external monitor. I talked to Samsung BEFORE I bought the laptop and asked if they had a docking station for it. They said they did not, but that I would be able to connect it to a VGA monitor.

When I received the laptop I noticed that it did not have a VGA connection – only a micro-HDMI connection. I again called Samsung. They told me no problem – just buy a VGA to micro-HDMI adapter. They told me I could find one at any electronics store. I was in Phoenix at the time and could not find it at any electronics store. But, I found a VGA-USB adapter. I tried it and found that it worked except for when I was trying my email or browsers. Then it just did not work. I decided to buy a new monitor – and figured I would buy a Samsung monitor because it obviously (?) Would have no problems connecting to a Samsung laptop! I found a good monitor – the Series 3 S23A350H. Before buying it, I called Samsung and asked them if it would work. They assured me it would connect to my laptop. So, I bought the monitor and had it shipped to me overseas. When it arrived it only had VGA and HDMI connections. I called Samsung again and they told me they had a VGA to micro-HDMI adapter. They would not ship it to me overseas, but would ship it to a friend in Hawaii who would then re-ship it to me. After 4 weeks, it arrived. However, it was not a VGA to micro-HDMI adapter, but the charger for my laptop! I called back to Samsung and then told me to order it from Samsung parts. I contacted Samsung parts and they said they did not have such an adapter and just to get it at any electronics store (same story). I still could not find such an adapter, so I ordered an HDMI to micro-HDMI adapter. When that finally arrived I was able to connect. Nothing but problems. I got no picture on my external monitor unless I unplugged the monitor each time and plugged it back in. When I finally got a picture I noticed that it had about a 3 inch border all the way around it – thereby making it only a little larger than my laptop picture. I called Samsung again and they said something like because of the HDMI to micro-HDMI adapter I could not get the proper resolution on my external monitor. This is driving me CRAZY. I have spent over $500 on long-distance international calls to Samsung (they won’t call me because I am out of the US, but I must call them and get a call center which is usually out of the US!!). Why would Samsung make a laptop that is impossible to connect to an external monitor?

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can properly connect my laptop to this monitor?

Thank you.

edit: okay, now I read it properly.

Your Monitor may not be scaling the resolution to match it's maximum output. Try setting the monitor to be the only active display (as in output to external monitor only) and adjusting the resolution in windows to match the maximum resolution your monitor will allow. If that works, you at least have a starting point.

Also, are they referring to the Samsung AA-AH1NAMB/US Micro HDMI to VGA Adapter??? I'd suggest trying to find an e-tailer that will ship to your location, rather than dealing with Samsung directly anymore, since it REALLY seems to be costing you unnecessary time and money.

edit: okay, now I read it properly.

Your Monitor may not be scaling the resolution to match it's maximum output. Try setting the monitor to be the only active display (as in output to external monitor only) and adjusting the resolution in windows to match the maximum resolution your monitor will allow. If that works, you at least have a starting point.

Also, are they referring to the Samsung AA-AH1NAMB/US Micro HDMI to VGA Adapter??? I'd suggest trying to find an e-tailer that will ship to your location, rather than dealing with Samsung directly anymore, since it REALLY seems to be costing you unnecessary time and money.

Thanks madboyv1. All but one of the 7 etailers listed at the link say "Out of Stock"
I have sent an email to the one that did not specifically say "Out of Stock" but I am not holding my breath. I just got my phone bill and it cost me $630.08 in phone charges to Samsung JUST for the month of October. I will let you know if they reply to my email inquiry. I would hate to spend another $50 for an adapter that will not work.

Unfortunately mini-HDMI adapters are more common than micro-HDMI adapters in general, and the later usually comes in an HDMI (type A) flavor only. A decent micro-HDMI -> HDMI cable should work though since aside from swapping some pins around electrically they're the same (I think), unlike HDMI to VGA.

edit: More common, for now.

What is the difference between a micro HDMI and a mini HDMI? Now I am not sure what I have on my Samsung Series 9.

One (micro) is smaller than the other (mini)... other than that, almost nothing. The product page on Samsung's website says micro-HDMI, and multiple reviews seem to incorrectly label it as mini-HDMI.

Oh, for reference:
DlW7u.png

credit: image websearch

The micro HDMI cable fits, so I guess it is the one. Today, all but one of the 7 e-tailers listed yesterday have disappeared from the link. The one remaining does not have the adapter. Now what can I do? Again, I just can't believe that Samsung would sell a neat laptop that cannot properly be connected to an external monitor.

lol it seems that the original link has expired/died. Try this one: [LINK]

Have you tried my suggestion of using your monitor as the only display?

madboyv1,

I sent emails on successive days to the one e-tailer that did not say "Out of Stock". I did not receive a reply to either email. Is it possible that this animal -- a VGA-microHDMI adapter does not really exist -- or only exists in some parallel world?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about using the external monitor as the only display.

What I mean as the only display, is that your computer outputs only to the external monitor, instead of both the laptop built in screen and the external monitor as a secondary. To do this...:

1. Right click your desktop and select "Screen Resolution"
  2. if you have two screens available already, click on the display that identifies as "Generic PnP Monitor" or in the case of monitors connected via digital (DVI/HDMI/Displayport), the name of your monitor.
    - If you haven't plugged in your monitor, do so now and click Detect button, then click on the display.
    - If you are having trouble identifying which monitor is which display, click the Identify button.
  3. In the "Multiple displays" dropdown list, select "Show desktop only on #," where # is your external monitor.
  4. Click apply, and "keep your changes."
  5. Assuming your monitor is displaying your desktop just fine, go to the Resolution dropdown box and see if it is set to whatever maximum resolution it allows. if it is not, select it and click apply again

At this point, in a perfect world, your external monitor is not only the primary monitor, but your laptop display is now off. Your external *should* be running at it's maximum (and recommended) resolution, and the letterboxing effect should be gone.

As for the e-tailers, of the first 10 shops in the new link I supplied, two show as having it in stock or expected to have in stock:

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop...100200100173_BKZ6512P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

http://www.audio-discounters.com/aa-ah1namb-us.html

Maybe give them a call?

1. Right click your desktop and select "Screen Resolution"
DONE

2. if you have two screens available already, click on the display that identifies as "Generic PnP Monitor" or in the case of monitors connected via digital (DVI/HDMI/Displayport), the name of your monitor.
DONE -- S23A350H

3. If you haven't plugged in your monitor, do so now and click Detect button, then click on the display.
DONE -- my laptop is #1, monitor is #2

4. In the "Multiple displays" dropdown list, select "Show desktop only on #," where # is your external mlinking.onitor.
DONE

5. Click apply, and "keep your changes."
HERE IS where the problem begins. When I click apply, my laptop screen goes dark and the external monitor has a box traveling across the screen that has three different colored squares and says ANALOG. Then, when I push the touchscreen (actually on the frame, not the screen) to change it to digital, nothing happens. About 5 seconds later my laptop screen comes on again. So, I never get to the point where I can "apply" because I cannot get the monitor into digital mode?? I don't know if I'm saying this correctly. Then my "on" light on the monitor (which is actually a little red light at the bottom right of the frame) starts blinking.

madboyv1,

I forgot to add that Audio Discounters finally answered ny email and said:

We will see what we can find out for you on that question and get back to you shortly.

Well, If you're going through HDMI, then your source won't be Analog (VGA) or "Digital" (DVI), but HDMI (as how your monitor differentiates them). if I'm reading the manual for your monitor correctly, you should be able to select HDMI by pressing the third button from the right (after the AUTO button). While it's on standby waiting for a signal, try displaying to it again.

Hope you get a favorable answer from them, just in case you can't get your current cable to work properly.

Here is the answer I received from the only vendor that supposedly had such a device:

That item is not currently in stock, however the customer could use that, but they will be downgrading the quality of the signal by converting to VGA. Since the monitor has HDMI input, they would be better using SKU LC1153 for about 1/3 the price and it will take micro-HDMI to regular HDMI. Please let us know if you have any other questions

Now what? What are the chances of getting Samsung to return the $$ I spent for the laptop, returning the $$ I spent on the monitor, and returning the $$ I spent on long distance calls to receive their erroneous advice?

Dont know if i read everything correctly.. but would a mini to full hdmi cable not be the best option?

Googled your laptop and it appears to be mini hdmi. your monitor appears to be full size.

Like this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wired--up-H...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320594108&sr=1-1

And a micro hdmi to full cable here :

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...jre2TriXGImBhQfTvLGrBA&sqi=2&ved=0CGkQ8wIwAA#

Either of these cables should be " plug and play"

If not its probably a software/overscan issue.

What is the model number of your laptop please?

He has one (micro type D to full type A) but it's causing him nothing but headaches for some reason.

Still no luck at muscling that cable to work?

As for getting your money back... the laptop unlikely considering it is already 3 months old. The monitor, possibly if it is within the return envelope. The long distance costs calling costs... you can try, but probably not. You never know until you ask though, and get a manager/superior, for that.

Dont know if i read everything correctly.. but would a mini to full hdmi cable not be the best option?

The left side of the laptop has three connections:

1. Wired LAN Port (which I use for DSL internet access)

2. Micro Digital Video/Audio Port (Micro HDMI)

3. USB 3.0 Port

Maybe the microHDMI to HDMI cable I bought is defective. I will order a new one,

well, you don't have a mini-HDMI connector, so using a mini HDMI to Type A cable would mean you'd have to put a converter on the mini side. A straight micro to Type A would dispense of the additional coupling and place where a problem could arise, so it would be the better choice.

I guess trying a new cable wouldn't hurt.

Also, try plugging in your monitor to your laptop, turn on the monitor, then turn of the laptop and immediately close the lid, making the laptop think the monitor is the main display. I am really having difficulty in figuring out why the cable/port is not working as it should, besides the possibility something is defective of course.

"Finally" is right! I live on an island in the middle (and I mean middle) of the Pacific and had to wait until I got to Hawaii (which did not have it) and then to Arizona (which did) and then return and see if it worked -- which it did!

I bought Samsung Ativ 9 and has exactly the same problem. I'm conneted to the external monitor via MicoHDMI->HDMI connector and the display on the external monitor is very blurry.
I tried changing the resolution but nothing helps...
I have different laptops that work perfectly well with the same Monitor (BenQ): HP ultrabook, Dell Inspiron, MAC, etc.
I ordered Micro-HDMI-> VGA cable waiting for it to arrive to see if it helps...
I agree with the previous user - Can't believe that Samsung built such a laptop - It has such good reviews.
The ultrabook monitor works very well, the problem is only with the external monitor.
BTW, I tried duplicating the display, using the external only, and extending the display - all show the same blurry problem...
The issue might be with the micro-HDMI, since all my other laptops have either VGA or HDMI.

Shirit

So I have a samsung ativ 7, & went a different route. I went with a tv instead of a monitor & went hdmi from laptop to hdmi to tv.
apparently the monitor port on the laptop is proprietary & expensive to get a cable for.

Back