Samsung planning August 12 launch for Galaxy Note 5

Scorpus

Staff member

Samsung is planning to announce the Galaxy Note 5 ahead of schedule, at least according to the latest report from the usually-reliable SamMobile, confirming previously revealed information. According to their sources, Samsung's upcoming phablet will be revealed on August 12, and go on sale just two weeks later on August 21.

Leaked information has already allegedly revealed that the Galaxy Note 5 will feature a 5.67-inch 1440p Super AMOLED display, and a new Exynos 7422 SoC that combines an octa-core CPU, a GPU, 4 GB of RAM, NAND storage, and the company's new Shannon 333 LTE modem into the one package.

Like the Galaxy S6, there will reportedly be no microSD card slot on the Galaxy Note 5, and both devices will share a similar design. However, the Note 5 will have thinner bezels, as well as a new S Pen that will feel more like a pen, and match the color of the device.

The Galaxy Note 5 won't be the only phablet announced in around a month's time: the company is also reportedly gearing up to launch the Galaxy S6 Edge+, a larger version of the existing Galaxy S6 Edge, complete with a 5.7-inch 1440p display that curves to either side.

The S6 Edge+ will use Samsung's Exynos 7420 SoC, according to SamMobile, and will feature 3 GB of RAM, a 16-megapixel rear camera with OIS, and a 3,000 mAh battery.

If SamMobile's sources are correct, we will be seeing new flagship handsets from Samsung very soon. If you were planning on buying a Note 4 in the next couple of weeks, it might be worth holding off until August to see what the company has in store.

Permalink to story.

"Like the Galaxy S6, there will reportedly be no microSD card slot on the Galaxy Note 5, and both devices will share a similar design."

You know...I'm kinda relieved, this means that I'll be holding on to my hard earned money. :D

Need a water resistant one for us outdoor folk too! I like my S5, may get an S6 Active... but would really like the bigger screen. Although if I'm honest, I'd like a physical slide out QWERTY keyboard as well. I know I'm asking a lot.

And of course, it will have a HIGHER price, for little value. Bigger processors (not needed), higher density screen (can you REALLY see the difference??), maybe a novelty feature here or there (nothing to get excited about), and all that "performance" will drain the battery faster of course, that is, unless you turn all the battery saving options, which will slow it down to last years model speed. Save your money, buy a mid spec device (unless you play cutting edge 3d games that is), and wait around until TRUE innovation comes around. Rounded edge screens, flexible phones, finger print scanners are NOT innovations, just gimmicks to get you to buy a new device every year.

So if I'm assuming correctly, then we won't be seeing any more Samsung devices with SD card capabilities...
This really annoys me, as with the S6 even though they announced those 64gb and 128gb models, it isn't available in South Africa.

If you give me a device with plenty of onboard storage then sure, fine, but if they can't deliver the bigger storage capacities here, then my next upgrade won't be a Samsung. Only recently got the Note 4, so I only have to worry about that in 2 years time, so I'll just wait and see how this plays out.

EDIT: so it seems you can get the larger models in SA, but only if you buy the phones. The option for the bigger models don't seem to be available on contract and unfortunately the bigger models are ridiculously expensive. It would cost me a 10th of the price to buy a SD card of the same capacity.

Hm....and I was hoping to replace my note 2, but w/o msd I guess I can wait for note 6 or 7 or if my new recently replaced battery dies sooner ill have to switch to something else

"Like the Galaxy S6, there will reportedly be no microSD card slot on the Galaxy Note 5"

No thanks. I'll stick to my Note 4.

Back