1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung unveils 12GB smartphone DRAM for next-gen devices

By Cal Jeffrey · 8 replies
Mar 14, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung announced the production of a new mobile high-capacity DRAM chip. It lays claim to the first 12GB RAM chip designed for smartphones. The low-power double data rate 4X (LPDDR4X) memory package is being produced for next-generation devices, but early adopters will find it in the recently announced Galaxy S10+ Performance Edition (the 1TB ceramic model).

Most of the newest flagships sport up to 8GB RAM. Samsung’s new chip will boost its phone to a higher capacity than most ultra-thin notebooks. With folding smartphones now making an appearance, the importance of having enough RAM to drive them going forward is apparent.

“With the LPDDR4X, we’re strengthening our position as the premium mobile memory maker best positioned to accommodate rapidly growing demand from global smartphone manufacturers,” said Samsung’s Executive VP of Memory Marketing Sewon Chun.

The 12GB chip will also be necessary for phones that feature five or more cameras like the upcoming Nokia 9 PureView, says Samsung. Other high-RAM demands the company listed include artificial intelligence, 5G capabilities, and larger screen sizes and resolutions.

Additionally, with true multitasking beginning to become a thing on smartphones, the demand for higher-capacity RAM is only going to increase.

The electronics giant was able to achieve this accomplishment by squeezing six 16-gigabit LPDDR4X chips based on its second-generation 10nm process into one package. It claims the DRAM delivers a data transfer rate of 34.1GB per second while lowering the power consumption that usually accompanies higher-capacity DRAM.

Although it has not confirmed the Galaxy S10 5G’s specs yet, Samsung’s mention of using high-capacity RAM for 5G functionality seems to indicate it will probably be outfitting it with the 12GB chip as well.

As always, expect to pay a premium for phones packing this much RAM. The Galaxy S10+ Performance Edition lists for £1399 (about $1,800). Definitely not for the budget-minded consumer.

Permalink to story.

2. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Guru Posts: 611   +397

A folding tablet is an answer to a question nobody asked.

They'd do way better creating 100% waterproof tablets and phones that charge wirelessly.

3. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 2,514   +2,212

I do think there is a niche for devices like that but the current technology and prices make them a joke product. A phone with a fold or slide-out keyboard and trackpad would be far more welcome. As for improving performance, if Samsung would just stop installing all that redundant bloatware and stop putting artificial limits on how much of your storage you can actually use..

4. yRaz

yRaz Nigerian Prince Posts: 2,715   +1,951

I've always wanted something like this, but seeing the product makes me think I was dumb for doing so

5. onestepforward

onestepforward TS Enthusiast Posts: 80   +39

That's rather unfair. We all have different needs. If a folding tablet/phone suits someone's needs, then well-and-good. I see no reason for criticism.

6. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 3,539   +2,853

I can't even use up 2GB on my S9 let alone anywhere near 12GB. As far as RAM goes, it's worthless if you don't use it.

onestepforward likes this.
  7. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,768   +1,271

What tasks is a phone with that much RAM supposed to accomplish?

8. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Guru Posts: 611   +397

When they do these ridiculous speed tests of the iPhone vs. whatever the newest droid is, the fact that they have more RAM allows them to keep more background apps open while the iOS suspends those apps.

So what happens ultimately is that although the iPhone is far more efficient, it ends up getting lower scores on the ridiculous tests because it may take a fraction of a second to a few seconds longer to pull up previously browsed pages and apps.

What they don't want to talk about is how inefficient the Androids are. They shouldn't need 12GB of RAM. They shouldn't need gigantic batteries. But they absolutely do because they aren't optimized as well.

onestepforward likes this.
  9. iamcts

iamcts TS Addict Posts: 216   +141

The efficiency absolutely depends on the manufacturer and their customized version of Android.

Throwing all Android phones into the same box and saying they're inefficient isn't really fair. The iPhone is the only phone capable of running iOS, where Android can be used on almost anything at this point. That's why Android phone manufacturers are a dime a dozen.

It's up to the manufacturer of the phone to customize the OS to the specifications device.

H3llion likes this.