Sandisk Cruzer Micro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 1 gb.
When I plugged it into my computer (first time, win xp) it got completely stuck, so i had to press reset.
Found this topic:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34986&highlight=sandisk
But the only windows I have (apart from xp) is 98, not SE. So I can't make my computer recognise the disc.

First of all, can anyone explain why does my computer (xp) gets completly stuck?
Second, can anyone suggest what to do about win 98?

Thanks.

There are alternative methods to fixing flash drives. Read the reference thread again thoroughly.

The problem is that the other solutions, if I understand correctly, are supposed to be used in XP. I cannot do that, because as I said, the moment I plug in the flash disc, the computer gets completely stuck.
I can only use a win 98 (not SE) solution.
Any suggestions?

Yes. Boot with the USB stick already plugged in.

I've had this happen before, and I was able to get the system to boot into windows just fine. Then format the drive without trying to open it first.

The other suggestion is a live linux distro.

I can't boot into XP with the flash disc plugged in, it gets stuck in the middle. Can't even get to safe mode.
I don't have any access to anything Linux related, so that's not a solution for me.
What I need is a working win 98 (not SE) driver. I saw a win 95 driver, there's got to be one for me too.
BTW, if it helps, when the flash disc is plugged, the little yellow lamp is not constatnly on, it's flashing, whatever that means.

You have access to the internet, thats access to a live linux cd.

You can try the 98se driver, worst thing that can happen is it won't work, same goes for the 95 driver.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Download that, it will be an iso file. Burn it with whatever you use to burn iso files with. Then stick that disk in your computer and reboot, making sure that CD boot is before HD boot in the boot sequence. Then you have a working linux environment without touching anything on your hard drives (so it won't mess up windows).

From there stick in your USB drive. It should mount it automatically, but if not you may have to do it manually. I don't know how to mount, but its a simple command.

I found this page to be interesting... But I think you should just be able to reformat the drive in linux to FAT16 or FAT32 and it will be usable in Windows again. If that doesn't do it then maybe your drive is just dead.

Both the 98se and 95 drivers don't work for me.

FWIW:
Sandisk provides 98se support (i.e. drivers) for their 'Cruzer' family through model SDCZ4. Annoyingly both the SDCZ4 & the SDCZ6 are marketed as 'Cruzer Micro' -- Your device is almost certainly an SDCZ6-1024 inasmuch as the SDCZ4-256 is the sole 'Z4 device yet in production...

Best of luck with Linux! :)

With Regards
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back