SATA CD-Rom/HDD nightmares..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agh.. I've spent the past 2 hours trying to get a new SATA cd-rom installed on a new computer I'm building for a friend..

It has a 160g WD HDD SATA drive and a PATA dvd-r/rom drive in it already..

When I boot up with the cd-rom, the computer loops over the memory check and doesn't let me enter the BIOS.. I've disconnected and tried to change the boot order, even disabling the boot option for the cd-rom drive.. and when I plug it back in.. it loops over and over..

I've also tried loading Windows completely up and plugging it in while the computer is on.. (dumb i know, but desperate).. and the drive registered properly and came up.. then when I tried a reboot.. same thing as before.. loop of the memory check.. can't enter BIOS..

Anyone have suggestions?

Well.. when I went to the manufacturer's website (ASRock is the maker).. They list 2.1 being the last update.. and the BIOS version I have is 2.58

Something is weird there... methinks.

2.1 looks like a PCB revision, not a BIOS version..

Look again or tell us the mobo model and we will have a look?

Currently the problem with Sata optical drives is the lack of all around compaitability with all motherboards. and the sata optical drive makers dont seem to be in any hurry to correct the problem.

Do you think buying a SATA to PATA converter for the cd-rom drive would at least correct this problem for now? I've kinda kept that as an option but reluctant as it means spending another $10 on this computer..

I would say it is worth a try. right now you have a sata optical drive that is useless with that system.

Perhaps you can try installing the latest version of your motherboard's SATA/RAID drivers.

DVD RW's actually. Plextor has had one for quite awhile but it was fairly expensive and now I see Liteon has a much less expensive model at Newegg.

mailpup said:
DVD RW's actually. Plextor has had one for quite awhile but it was fairly expensive and now I see Liteon has a much less expensive model at Newegg.

It was actually the Liteon device that I bought.. I wasn't aware it was SATA at the time of purchase.. thanks guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back