Sata Drive Hot-swapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicfret

Hello Everybody, I'm A Little Confused Over An Issue With My Sata Drive. I Just Installed A 120 Gig Maxtor Sata Drive In A Removable Tray. My Understanding Is You Can Insert And Remove It While The Computer Is Running, That's Why It's Called "hot". I Can't Get Mine To Work That Way. I'm Pretty Sure I Have It Configured In The Bios Correctly. I Know The Drive Works, Because When I Leave It In During Boot Up The Computer Cna See It And I Can Transfer Data To It With No Problem. When I Try To Remove It When I'm Done The Computer Locks Up!!! Somebody Please Tell Me What I Might Have Missed?? Granyed It Works Fine ....just Not The Way It's Suppose To!!??

Hello Musicfret,

While The Original Sata Specification Allowed For Hot Swapping, Most Consumer-Grade Chipsets Do Not Support It, Even Though The Connectors Are Mechanically Designed For It. That Is Probably Why Your System Locks Up, Since The Chipsets Are Designed To Mimic Many Aspects Of Ide In Order To Maintain Backwards Compatibility. If You Absolutely Need Hot-Swap Functionality, Go With A Server Board.

I Would Also Recommend Getting Your Keyboard Checked Out, As Your Shift Key Is No Doubt Pretty Worn Out By Now.

don't forget to 'eject' the hdd or use the Safely remove devices icon before unplugging your HDD

check with motherboard manufact. about chipset controller driver for hotswap
you need the safe-t driver ???

Sata Hot Swap

Hey, Thanks For The Info. I'm Running A P4p800 Asus Motherboard. I Think I'll Give Them A Call And See If The Board Supports Hot Swapping Or If They're Drivers I Need.... Thanks Again.everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back