Sata drive in 80 to 160GB capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbssat

I am needing to buy some sata drives in bulk and need a recommendation for a fast sata drive other than a raptor.Not looking to do raid 0 but need good access times and overall performance. Not overly concerned about transfer speed. Please give model numbers and where to buy for the best price. I am finding that Newegg has better pricing than a lot of my distributors. Distributors are wanting me to buy a case to get 1.50 off of their price which still is not beating newegg's price. This is absurd!

Newegg is good, as far as speed vs price; well you get what you pay for. WD Raptors are about the fastest there are unless you can spend big bucks for SCSI 10K and 15K drives along with the controller card.

I would recommend that you buy the 16MB cache drives it makes a difference is transfer speed, and transfer speed is the how you determine a fast drive.

Newegg .......amazing

Here are two product links for 80 GB SATA drives:
A Western Digital : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822135106
And A Seagate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148231

Both are SATA II, Both have volume discounts. As to which is better that could be personal opinion but, The Seagate has NCQ and a 5 year warranty, and The Western Digital does NOT support NCQ and comes with a 3 year warranty.
both drives have 8 MB caches. this is the largest available in this size & type of drive.
Seagate does not offer 16 MB caches until 250 GB capacity
Western Digital offers a 16 MB cache at 160GB.
Either one of the drives above will land on your doorstep for less than $52.00 (USD)
9 milliseconds seems to be about the access time industry wide. The 2 drives above will access at least as fast as anyone elses in equivalent drives.

I appreciate the quick responses guys and will check these drives out. For the past few weeks; I have been thinking about discontinuing a lot of my distributor business. In the past month;I have spent about 1500.00 in computer parts alone. I bought a 36 gb raptor drive from one distributor only to get 5.00 off of it. Newegg still had it for 10.00 less even after their 5.00 discount and possibly free shipping. The same thing happened with an E4300 Core 2 duo chip. Newegg had it for 25.00 less and free shipping brand new in the box. I bought it from newegg. I cannot justify paying these kind of price differences to a distributor or anybody else. I spent about 150.00 just the other day at a distributor and the question was posed as to how they were doing. I told the person straight out that the pricing was not competitive and online vendors were beating them like a drum. I was told that they did not match pricing and had to listen to a lot of other garbage about why their pricing was the way it was. I understand that the objective of a business is to make money and to avoid price wars but you have to draw the line somewhere. A distributor should make a fair profit but not pluck its resellers by overpricing their offerings.I also understand that sometimes they may not be able to match an online vendor like Newegg but there should a happy medium somewhere with pricing that will satisfy both parties.

I found that out about 3 years ago when I started online store
one vender wanted 15 thousand to open account and would not give a price until they got my money dah
others as low as 500 to open same deal no prices
I got a quote from one guy for 20 seagate scsi's 10 percent higher than newegg or tiger direct.
WT#@$#
if you have the bucs go straight to seagate or Wd and give'm 10 g's bet they take it and give you a great deal
intel and seagate both run dealer discounts on small amounts too
I just got my certification from seagate this year.

Good Luck

I appreciate the response as the info you shared was very helpful. I will call these manufacturers to see what they can do for me asap. I also have noticed that none of my distributors have agressive pricing across the board. Some do memory pricing better while some do cpu pricing better and etc... I am tired of having to piece together a good deal for a couple of components from one distributor and then call another for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back