SATA hard drive full capacity recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello......

I'm having a little difficulty with ECS 848P-A7 recognizing the full capacity of my 320GB SATA II Maxtor drive. After installing drivers and enabling the SATA ports on the board, the system only recognizes 136GB of the 320GB.
Maxtor's web site and documentaion was not much help. I also followed Maxtor's recomendation to update my MB's Bios, but my MB already has the latest bios available through ECS. I understand that there is a barrier on some old board that only recognize limited capacity, but I've had 200GB and 250GB ATA HD full capacity recognitaion on the same board witout any problems.

I'm trying to avoid purchasing another SATA add-on card but that seems to be my only other choice.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Harris

"Have had full capacity recognition"? What exactly fails to see the drive size correctly? The BIOS or the OS? What operating system are you using? Do you have 48-bit LBA enabled?

Any SATA controller (on-board or add-on) will be able to read the full amount of a 320GB drive - no matter how old it is.

So I'd make the assumption you have a software problem. Make sure you have the latest service pack if you are using Windows 2000 or XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back