Sata hdd install issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all. been scanning the forums trying to find a remedy to my issue but couldnt find anything so decided i needed to post.

trying to install a WD Caviar SE16 500gb hdd onto an Asus K8V-X mobo running XP Service Pack 2. The drive isnt recognised in either bios or windows upon booting and doesnt seem to be powering up either. i have replaced both power and sata cables to no avail. the drive has been tested and formated on a friends pc and worked fine. i have considered using xp install disc F6 option but i dont have floppy drive to install drivers from. The VIA tools (and drivers i assume) that came with my mobo have been installed.

any suggestions?

thanks heaps.

Either defective or damaged drive, or problem in the BIOS that you have missed. Take a very close look at all the settings in the BIOS, as that is usually where the problem resides.
Can you take a look at the drive in a friend's SATA capable computer to determine if it works normally?

ive tested and formatted the drive in another computer. ive also taken it back to the place of purchase who tested it and said it was fine.

what exactly should i be looking for in the BIOS?

If there is any help in the BIOS, it will be easily readable as you boot up. Usually you access the BIOS as soon as you get a screen at startup. It varies from motherboard to motherboard, but you usually get a very quick opportunity to select 'Go to BIOS' when you startup. You might be given a choice to press a key such as <ESC>, <DEL>, <Ctrl>, <F1>, <F2>, <F3>, <F10>, <F11>, <F12>, or <Pause/Break>

If this is a SATA drive you will need to install drivers. It will not be recognized until then.

The ASUS K8V-X is often setup as a RAID machine, with the SATA drivers already installed for two different formats.
The SATA drivers are available by doing a Google search for
ASUS K8V-X
so it shouldn't take long to fix, if driver installation is the issue.

posted this up a while ago but im still having no luck.
ive tried everything posted on this board. all drivers are installed. ive also tried making a driver disk and doing the install using my windows xp setup. still not getting any love. i really dont want to take this to a shop to get it done.
im trying to install this as a 2nd drive. not boot drive

"I'm trying to install this as a 2nd drive. not boot drive"
You sign a non-disclosure agreement with somebody?

You cannot do this, in my experience, unless you install it as a dual boot from the original drive #1. Windows/Microsoft simply will not allow it.
If you are using the same Windows disc and product key, you cannot do it. Period.
If you are installing it as a second drive independent of the first. Install it alone, then jumper it as Slave, unless a SATA drive... and re-jumper the other as master.

yes its sata. as said in my original post and all other subsequent posts. my motherboard doesnt pick it up at all so installing windows onto it isnt an option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back