SATA & non-SATA drive interlinking! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so here's the layout. I have windows xp pro installed with 2 non-sata hard drives. primary being windows etc and secondary being just storage/games/music.

I now have a 160gb SATA hd. So i mount it, hook up the sata cable to motherboard, hook up sata power cable, and boot it up.

I go to my computer and see nothing. So i go to find new hardware and find nothing either. I installed scsi component and it showed the 2 things i just installed, the scsi component, and, of course, it shows/detects the new sata drive.

So i'm thinking it's now under 'my computer' i look there and it's not there.

Now what i'm doing is only having this for mass storage, i would even replace the second drive (non sata) i had for this.

(my BIOS under integrated periph has OnChip SATA enabled and OnChip SATA mode is "IDE" [the other option is RAID, but i only have 1 sata hdd])

So right now i'm thinking that I can't use sata and non-sata hdd's together.. but i could've sworn you could! I bet i'm just doing this wrong

oh, and one more weird thing, i ran 'everest' and went under storage devices, it shows 'drive 3' as EPSON usb storage 160gb .. and epson is my printer driver!

So i uninstalled the printer driver now it just says drive 3 (159gb)

TO SUM IT UP:
I want to run my single sata hdd with my other 1 or both hdd's that are non-sata. Is this possible, and if so, what am I doing wrong?

(it's gigabyte 8 sigma series motherboard, 2 sata slots available onboard)

You have to partition hard drives before they show up in My Computer.

See Disk Management.

running SATA with PATA can yield weird results. Windows defaults to PATA for most things and sometimes gets confused when you combine the two. I don't recommend mixing them, use one or the other. You can get it to work sometimes, especially if you have good drivers, but if you get a glitch, windows will error out when it doesn't find what it needs on the SATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back