Sata not reading at advertised speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

venger417

Hi, I have two Samsung SATA2 hard drives that are configured in raid 0, both drives are identical and are supposed to be 3 Gb/s in speed which translates into about 300 MB/s i think. using Passmark performance test it shows that the drive reads at 66 MB/s. i set the BIOS on my new giga-byte motherboard to raid and installed the raid drivers before installing the OS and everything is fine just concerned why its not showing at least closer to the 300 MB/s speed.
screenshot

Never, ever believe any "speeds" or other numbers advertised to you. They are virtually always bull****. Research before you buy.

The pretty 300 MB/s number tells you the speed from the disk drive's internal buffer to the HD controller. It says nothing about the data rates between the disk's buffer and the platters, nor does it say anything about the data rates between the disk controller and RAM/CPU.

66 MB/s is perfectly normal sustained throughput for a modern hard drive.

thanks for the info. thats almost false advertising if you ask me. now i dont see the point in manf. throwing out the 3 Gb/s for sata2 when sata was advertised at 1.5 Gb/s. if theyre all the same speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back