SATA Problem (another one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or is SATA more trouble than its worth??

Ok my problem is sort of the same as the rest.

I have just bought a 160gb Diamondmax SATA HDD, as my old IDE 160gb seagate was starting to die on me.

With when I connected up my new SATA HDD to Sata port1, and booted it up, the board seemed to register it fine.
Then, when i got to the XP pro (Service Pack 1) setup menu it went on to say that it could not find any mass storage devices. I pushed F6 and put my floppy disc with the drivers on, into the drive, and it keep saying it could not locate the drivers!?
I think next i reset the CMOS for some reason,( dunno why it seemed like the thing to do). Then when the setup loaded up it found the HDD ok, it said it was on IDE 0 Channel 0 on atapi... etc. This confused me slightly as only a moment ago it was asking for drivers.

So i partition the drive to the maximum size i can have. Then format it with NTFS. no problem.
Now for some reason when it gets to the Windows loading screen, (with the logo and the little blue bars) it just stops there, the bar is still moving, but it appears to have stuck there, the bar jumps occasionally then the bar carries on, and i can hear no activity coming from my CD-ROM drive, and it just stays at that loading screen until i reset the PC.

So could this be a faulty CD-ROM or a Faulty SATA Hard Drive?
oh and i should probably tell you that my motherboard is
this: http://msicomputer.co.uk/Products.aspx?product_id=703505&cat_id=77

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Ok sort of working now

OK i managed to get the new Hard Drive to install windows, (never mind how, it takes to long to explain)
It seemed to install it fine.
BUT after installed my Gigabit Ethernet Controllers, and when i started the PC again up the PC again, it stays at the screen with the blue bars with the windows logo again!!.
However it does let me run it in safe mode when i restart and ask it to. Any suggestions on what i should do guys?

check bios settings are correct (again)
check cable ok?
use the disk diagnostic utillity from its manufacturer to see if it has problems on it
flash bios?
try using the winxp cd and goto recovery console. see if you can get to the drive from there:
c:/
dir

try hdd on another machine...

XP does not like running IDE and SATA at the same time and can get flakey. use one or the other. It may run ok on some systems, but it is not stable.

ok i think i know whats going on. I think that my Maxtor Hard Drive isn't compatible with the Nforce 3 Chipset! Ughhh, i been at this all day.

When it ask for the 3rd party drivers I Install them, "Nvidia Storage Controller"
Then it carries on with the setup, gets to the screen with "Install windows XP" "Repair Windows Installation" etc. So i push enter to install windows, and it says please wait then it says "Examining 156267 MB Disk on CH 0 on ID 0 on atapi" then it hangs there.
and sometimes it refuses to start.
I also know it isn't the disk because it formatted one of my older drives i have without a problem.

I thought atapi was only IDE/PATA (unless you have atapi7.0)? It is a SATA/133 , not a 150? Your mobo only supports a 133. Maybe this is the prob.

sounds like you got the channel and id right but the driver is wrong
should be sata read or scsi read
check manual as to the right drivers for the sata chipset
may be under raid drivers or scsi drivers
you should not have problems running the 2 diff drives on the machine
what I found cause of badly written OS is to remove the ide drive when installing OS on a scsi or sata controller setup
again check the manual on exact config to boot from the sata channel
my board has about 6 diff options on diff panel other than the boot order panel

good luck

Faulty Drive

I downloaded the PowerMax4 tools to diagnose the drive turns, out it was faulty(well according to Diagnostic) it gave me an 8 digit error keycode. I put that into the RMA part of MaXtors website, and they are going to send me another Hard Drive, then i must send the drive back within 30 days.

I have decided to install Windows 64bit on my new system, i have already collected the neccessary drivers.
I can only hope that this new Hard Drive works or i'm stuffed.

I would advise against Win64bit for now. Many ppl here are already experiencing major difficulties with driver confilcts and incompatible applications. I think you're opening a can of worms you might regret, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back