Saving a Emachines that will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought home from work a 16 month and ill Emachines T1840

CPU Fan, H/SINK:3713S,845G CHIP,W/PUSH PIN
Power Supply: PS 250 WATT
CPU: CPU , Celeron 1.8 GHz CPEMINCL2
MB: MB, Imperial 2095
Memory: RAM DDR-RAM (128MBX1) (Max. 2GB)
Video: Video, integrated
Prim CD Model: CDRW, SW-240B/TG9(R400)
Secondary CD: DVD ROM SD-616T/TG9
HDD: HDD 40 GB
FDD Model: FDD, SFD-321B/LTGNQ
Modem: MODEM CONEXANT 56K V.92 - RMA
LAN: LAN, 10/100 integrated

The unit quit suddenly and will only give me a emachine logo screen. ESC gives me a bios info screen and del key is used to enter bios setup, which it will not enter. The cpu has power and the cooling fans are running. I have neither ungraded or added anything to the computer. I have tried disconnecting all inputs, disconnecting the HD and it still will not enter bios setup or run the restore disk at all.
I am thinking its the MB, and if I am correct is it possible to replace it with a new (micro ATX?) I have a full version of W98 I could use for now. The factory replacement sounds expensive:

http://parts.emachines.com/emachines/moreinfo.asp?product_id=68915

Any chance it is under warranty?

Not only have I seen this post a couple of times on this forum, but I've seen this exact problem elsewhere too. Perhaps emachines has / will issue a recall if this is a widely distributed problem.

You can probably replace the board with a non-Emachines Baby ATX board. But you may need to modify or even replace the emachines case to get the board to fit properly (I/O panel in the back may not match up and may not be replaceable).

$149 for a crummy E-machines board is pretty steep.

did you look at the age of this thread? it's almost 2 years old!!!

and BTW, telling people to "press random buttons" is not the best technical advice

i looked at the link to the emachines site for that board and emachines is trying to rip some people off!
1. $159!!! I could buy a new CPU/motherboard combo cheaper than that! That board is worth only $15
2. they say it has an i865 chipset, WRONG! it has an i845GL chipset. Just get you an Asus P4B533-VM and you could probably use those restore cds. lol

I'm sure 75% or more of that price tag goes into emachine's pockets

It Was The Best of Times, It was the Worst of times.....

The best thing you do could do with any Emachines 1xxx series is chuck it in a landfill. (But that would harm the environment).
The worst thing you could do with any Emachines 1xxx series is to chuck it in a landfill. (Because that would harm the environment).

best thing to do is check the date of the thread before replying to these!!! OP is dated 6/30/04!!!!

Run......! The Post Police Are Here....!

mlkmgr said:
best thing to do is check the date of the thread before replying to these!!! OP is dated 6/30/04!!!!
Since KingCody mentioned that back in June of 2006 (see above), I think it would be safe to assume I was quite aware of that fact. I will, as an issue of accommodation, edit my post to make it time independent. Still, you have to admit I was right about what to do with that ,(or any), Emachines with a 1XXX model designation. :haha: In fact, let this thread serve as a reminder that many old computers are not really redeemable, so don't even bother to ask! :dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back